Q for barefoot
Mr Black
2008-05-05 04:46:06 UTC
is uncle harry still regualry signing?

MrB
--
<><><> ANNOYING USENET SINCE 1996 <><><>
barefoot
2008-05-05 05:42:29 UTC
ha1 i love it..i get the guy one time on father's day and start
calling him uncle harry and it catches on...
i've had no problem with him...if you see my myspace blogs...i've
gotten him twice recently...and both times, he was willing to do two
apiece...and he didn't care if it was star wars or indiana jones..he
just signs, doesn't really say anything and just signs...
gove him lots of room to sign something so you can get a bigger
signature...
he's really decent...there's only been a few times that he's said no,
and both of them, he was pretty hammered.

is he coming out there to promote?
mike
Mr Black
2008-05-05 11:41:17 UTC
Post by barefoot
ha1 i love it..i get the guy one time on father's day and start
calling him uncle harry and it catches on...
i've had no problem with him...if you see my myspace blogs...i've
gotten him twice recently...and both times, he was willing to do two
apiece...and he didn't care if it was star wars or indiana jones..he
just signs, doesn't really say anything and just signs...
gove him lots of room to sign something so you can get a bigger
signature...
he's really decent...there's only been a few times that he's said no,
and both of them, he was pretty hammered.
is he coming out there to promote?
mike
Yeah, some talk about him potentially coming down here for the Indy
premiere.
barefoot
2008-05-05 16:38:41 UTC
they paid him $35 million, he better come.
barefoot
2008-05-05 16:53:01 UTC
good luck..last premiere here (that cop movie with josh hartnett,
hollywood homicide, he came over to the crowd and signed 3 different
times.
we don't get a premiere for that movie in los angeles.
2008-05-05 18:32:09 UTC
Do you keep all your Harrisons? What price are you charging for them
if you are selling them? Just curious. His graph is over-inflated at
the moment for no apparent reason and it seems to me that these people
will never be able to offload their items at the prices they are
paying.

barefoot
2008-05-05 18:46:08 UTC
to be honest with you...i don't sell harrison ford or eddie vedder
(pearl jam) when i get them...they are my favorites and there's just
too much stuff to get signed by them that i like. plusa, it's too much
work to sell them for less than like $300 anyway...
that's the story on those 2 guys.
mike
barefoot
2008-05-05 19:03:42 UTC
actually, i sell harrison autographs when i get them in a crowd. they
are usually pretty undesirable TO ME...but they are real...sell them
for about $200 ea. i PAY the people who help me $50 per signature on
him...he sells pretty well and i get a lot of requests...
i have, in my collection the following.
1) a movie poster from each indiana jones movie (even the new one, and
that's pretty much complete as we speak)
2) seven different star wars posters (actually, one of them doesn't
have him on it).
3) blade runner poster
4) several combo 8 x 10's and 11x14s
5) a few 8 x10s of just him as indy, in star wars and from the
fugitive.
6)2 16x20's signed by him and shia labeouf.

so if you want to know about harrison ford, i'd imagine i know what
i'm talking about...
i've probably sold like 15-20 signatures of him.

mike
Mr Black
2008-05-06 09:55:23 UTC
Post by barefoot
3) blade runner poster
nnniiiiiiccceeeeeee
Gummby3
2008-05-05 19:04:27 UTC
They won't be ABLE to resell them, if they ever decide to, without
taking a large loss on their initial payment. I like Harrison and
most of his movies, but I don't think that he'll be remembered in
Hollywood history, value-wise, like old Hollywood culture symbols
Charlie Chaplin, Sir Laurence Olivier and Katharine Hepburn or pop
culture symbols like Elvis, Marilyn Monroe and James Dean. These
dealers are trying to get value off of Ford that a lot of the above
did not get until after they made a dent in the entertainment world
AND died. When, God forbid, Ford does pass, then there are going to
be a lot of people trying to dump his signature on Ebay, or one of
it's clones, and it's going to look like an LA traffic jam at 5
o'clock rush hour with no buyers. Why? Because everyone is going to
try and get what they initially paid for the autograph back plus a
profit. This traffic jam will be both hilarious and sad at the same
time to see happen.
--
Mike
Gummby3
paying.
barefoot
2008-05-05 19:33:18 UTC
trust me, if i wanted to sell my fords for $300 ea...all i have to do
is let the word out and they are GONE!...it wouldn't even take me a
week...
he's a strong name to have...as long as i'm under the official pix
price, or it's a combo item...it's sold yesterday...
he is the strongest name in the celebrity hobby who holds his
value...problem is, there are a lot of forgeries...people have to seek
out folks like me who have the real thing...and they will pay. but
there's not a lot of stuff out there...

all i know is this...i had ford on a 16x20 combo with paul blake
(greedo) and it needed blake at the star wars convention in l.a....i
got more than one offer of $400 for it. paul blake even wanted it.

he will hold his value...no one knows who sir lawrence olivier is. and
after my father's generation passes, absolutely no one will...star
wars and indiana jones are passed through generations...they are 3
generations strong now, olivier made it through one.. (oh, and i do
know who he is, he was zeus in clash of the titans).
Gummby3
2008-05-05 20:11:21 UTC
Regardless, when he does pass, all of those people that have $300-$600
Fords are all going to do the greed thing all at once and try to
unload their autographs all at once. The market will be flooded and
you won't even be able to see yours at that price, as would be my
guess. Then again, this could be a good thing for the true
collectors. It would cause the value to drop and maybe we would be
able to acquire a legit one at a working man's pay scale. :-)

On the other note, anybody that truly respects Hollywood history will
remember actors like Olivier. They broke the ground for today's flash
in the pans make their millions in. ;-)
2008-05-05 22:18:41 UTC
Post by Gummby3
Regardless, when he does pass, all of those people that have $300-$600
Fords are all going to do the greed thing all at once and try to
unload their autographs all at once. The market will be flooded and
you won't even be able to see yours at that price, as would be my
guess. Then again, this could be a good thing for the true
collectors. It would cause the value to drop and maybe we would be
able to acquire a legit one at a working man's pay scale. :-)
The market will be flooded and people are in money crisis so will buy
the cheap forgeries and try to resell them as legit... the forged
items keep going back into circulation. As people peruse Ebay and see
.99-999.00 for him, they are probably going to buy stuff in the 20-50
dollar range thinking they got a real deal because they didn't buy the
99 cent stuff. You know this is true. But then again, you could have
a 999.00 forgery there too. So best bet is to educate yourself.
barefoot
2008-05-06 10:00:08 UTC
you say that people won't be able to re sell them...but to be
honest...i don't think that people buying the autographs for$300 or so
are intending to sell them...yes, you are right, it's probably the top
of the market to sell any living person's autograph for $300+. but i'm
gonna say this. it's tough out there. and it's not worth the time to
sell it for less. i tried to sell a ford, for $75 on ebay, like 4
years ago. but it got no bids. but there were at least 5, for under
$30 and they all got bids. and none of those were real.

you could be right, obvious there are fewer lawrence olivier's...much
fewer. but i think you are wrong in thinking that people who love old
hollywood will always care. i think when generations die down, people
stop caring. out of sight, out of mind. and as hollywood keeps making
remakes of movies, people will care even less. Charlton heston doesn't
sell. he didn't sell before he passed, and doesn't sell after. even if
you factor out the ebay's "hot now" scenario, old, deceased actors
don't matter to a lot of people unless they are coinsiderably older. a
20 year old doesn't walk into an autograph store and get excited by a
lawrence olivier, but they will buy the cast photo signed by the
kardashian sisters for $100. or, in my case, at frank n sons, i sold a
STACK of kat von d autographs for $50 a piece, but my kirk douglas
just sits there and no one asks about him. same price. so using that
logic, i'd say that once the people 50 and older start to pass on, the
legacy of olivier(and others like him) will fade into oblivion.
2008-05-06 13:14:42 UTC
On Tue, 6 May 2008 03:00:08 -0700 (PDT), barefoot
Post by barefoot
you say that people won't be able to re sell them...but to be
honest...i don't think that people buying the autographs for$300 or so
are intending to sell them...yes, you are right, it's probably the top
of the market to sell any living person's autograph for $300+. but i'm
gonna say this. it's tough out there. and it's not worth the time to
sell it for less. i tried to sell a ford, for $75 on ebay, like 4
years ago. but it got no bids. but there were at least 5, for under
$30 and they all got bids. and none of those were real.
you could be right, obvious there are fewer lawrence olivier's...much
fewer. but i think you are wrong in thinking that people who love old
hollywood will always care. i think when generations die down, people
stop caring. out of sight, out of mind. and as hollywood keeps making
remakes of movies, people will care even less.
That's true to some extent and very sad when you think about it. We
were talking about this this past weekend with rock Stars. We'd gone
to Van Halen and were discussing how many groups like that NOW could
be potentially touring in 20-30 years still. We felt like probably
less than 1/10th of the bands from the 60s-80's. Nothing from the
90's or 2000's really seems to be quality enough to stick. You might
see Mirah or something, but really do you see any bands from the 90's
really still huge? Same with actors. The quality has gone way down.
Rare good acting is around and even those with some talent, say a Tom
Cruise, become pop culture fodder and it usurps their talent, so they
don't make it into the fold of classic. Those like Britney who you'd
think could be one of the ones to keep touring at an older age (like
say Madonna), most likely will NOT ever come back. The culture and
crap surrounding them becomes bigger than themselves. it's a shame.
Post by barefoot
Charlton heston doesn't
sell. he didn't sell before he passed, and doesn't sell after. even if
you factor out the ebay's "hot now" scenario, old, deceased actors
don't matter to a lot of people unless they are coinsiderably older. a
20 year old doesn't walk into an autograph store and get excited by a
lawrence olivier, but they will buy the cast photo signed by the
kardashian sisters for $100. or, in my case, at frank n sons, i sold a
STACK of kat von d autographs for $50 a piece, but my kirk douglas
just sits there and no one asks about him. same price. so using that
logic, i'd say that once the people 50 and older start to pass on, the
legacy of olivier(and others like him) will fade into oblivion.
I would say Charlton Heston sells and will continue to sell on the
right items. The problem with him is the sheer amount of stuff out
there. He doesn't need to be forged (though I've seen it which shows
you how stupid and lazy some forgers are) because he signs everything
for anyone, anytime in any place. The Kardashian sisters etc are
crap; they'll be popular another year or so and then struggle because
they have NO talent and will become Paris or Britney; trying to hold
to a fame that will be taken over by new blood. So sell them now
because it's my guess they'll be the Joey Lawrences, Scott Baios, and
Punky Brewsters of the near future.
Gummby3
2008-05-06 17:06:30 UTC
Ironically, I was talking with some people along those lines too.
It's amazing how many of the 80's groups are still popular enough to
not only still be touring, but to actually DRAW a crowd of fans.
Heck, look at The Stones. They have to be held up with a walker
(tongue in cheek), but they still sell out venues. That can not be
said by most of the groups/singers from the last two decades. Now,
there are some actors/actresses that we have today that are going to
have some staying power. I think Kate Hudson will have a longer
career than her mother, for example, but you are correct that a good
portion of the current hot actors are going to disappear by this time
20 years from now.
Sue H
2008-05-06 17:50:43 UTC
It's curious who'll stay and who'll go but my gut feeling is a larger
percentage will go. We are all consumed with everything being fast,
new and changing. We want our food now, we don't have enough TV
channels (LOL) and we get bored so easily that if the power goes out,
we're lost of what to do! What's happening is all these celebs are
quick in and out as we get bored. NONE have the staying power of
stars of yesteryear. When our generation dies, the next generation is
really gonna lose out on quality.
20 years from now.
Gummby3
2008-05-06 16:57:27 UTC
We could both be right. I'm honestly the exact opposite of your
clients. I consider a good portion of the "hot" people now to be
flash in the pans that will fall from people's minds quicker than what
the Jehovah's Witness just rattled on at their front door. I am only
38, supposedly on the fringes of the clients that buy the Kat Von Ds,
the Kardashian and whoever. Honestly, I would right have Bruce
Jenner's (the Kardashian step-father) autograph as he actually
contributed something to BE famous and worthy of an autograph request.
The Kard. sisters, the Hilton sisters, etc. are ONLY famous because
they were born with a name. Von D is ONLY a tattoo artist. They have
not contributed anything to this country to be worthy of an autograph
request. LOL Hillary Duff, Britney Spears and Miley Cyrus are only
famous because of the "Disney Machine" cookie cutter. Other than
Christina Aguilera, we've seen how well the results have been with the
cookie cutters. :-) For me, I would rather have those "forgotten"
celebs. Now, if Ford was a realistic price for someone that actually
works for a living, then I would be interested in his too, but not
these astronomical prices. People may be paying it, but he's not
worth that value. Just my .02¢.
bob catz
2008-05-07 05:41:34 UTC
Heston and Douglas signed so many autographs, they will never reach the
value of someone like Brando or Elizabeth Taylor, who almost never signed.
It has more to do with supply and demand. People like Olivier will always
be in demand because they are now considered historical autographs, like
ex-Presidents. Do you understand this concept? Since you don't know
anything about Hollywood history, your statements are idiotic and laughable.
My wife and I are sitting here drinking a couple of Michelobs and the more
we drink, the funnier your posts get. Keep them coming......this is more
entertaining than watching The Sopranos!

"barefoot" <***@comcast.net> wrote in message news:ba1a3a6a-c42a-4bef-81ec-***@u6g2000prc.googlegroups.com...
Charlton heston doesn't
sell. he didn't sell before he passed, and doesn't sell after., but my
2008-05-05 22:16:27 UTC
On Mon, 5 May 2008 12:33:18 -0700 (PDT), barefoot
Post by barefoot
trust me, if i wanted to sell my fords for $300 ea...all i have to do
is let the word out and they are GONE!...it wouldn't even take me a
week...
he's a strong name to have...as long as i'm under the official pix
price, or it's a combo item...it's sold yesterday...
You got a point. I know someone trying for the 250 range (signing)
and if is a go, I am in. that's my limit on him. He would then be my
highest priced single graph (not in value, but what I paid; I've paid
small money for things or no money for things worth 2-4 times as more
value);. Followed by Peter Cushing.
Post by barefoot
he is the strongest name in the celebrity hobby who holds his
value...problem is, there are a lot of forgeries...people have to seek
out folks like me who have the real thing...and they will pay. but
there's not a lot of stuff out there...
There's a LOT of stuff out there though; it's not that. It's telling
the real stuff from the crap as forgers are getting a little better at
forging that particular signature.
Post by barefoot
all i know is this...i had ford on a 16x20 combo with paul blake
(greedo) and it needed blake at the star wars convention in l.a....i
got more than one offer of $400 for it. paul blake even wanted it.
Very specific for the Star Wars collectors though and some will pay
it. In the future though, the price is probably uncertain. right now,
it's good scene though from a great film and one of the signatures is
ford so you can get that. Future though... many don't know who Paul
Blake is. He's not rare either (he's done quite a few cons) but he's
not around a whole lot these days..
Post by barefoot
he will hold his value...no one knows who sir lawrence olivier is. and
after my father's generation passes, absolutely no one will...star
wars and indiana jones are passed through generations...they are 3
generations strong now, olivier made it through one.. (oh, and i do
know who he is, he was zeus in clash of the titans).
I hate to say it, but barefoot has a point. As generations die, the
stars of today do one of two things... each generation they will
either become has-beens or highly regarded celebs. So for Ford's
generation, there's NOT a whole lot of people of that stature so I too
feel he'll maintain some value. with that said, it's WAY different
now than in Marilyn Monroe or Charlie Chaplain's time. Paparzzi and
autograph seekers weren't a business per se and the celebs weren't as
assessible. Therefore, there were less from the past and the mystery
nature of the celeb brings prices up while today, the trend is "who
is hot now" commands top dollar then will fizzle to nothing (probably
has been in the future). Ford is on that line; he'll probably secure
his stature with this indy film and if he can do ONE more solid
award-winning type thing (more substance), he's a shoe-in. If not, he
COULD drop to has been. I personally think though, he'll be one of
the top in his generation of actors and he'll always command a price,
but I don't think that'll rise till many years from now when we are
old and probably dead. So for those buying 400-500 dollar items now;
good luck with your wishful thinking!
bob catz
2008-05-07 05:34:01 UTC
<no one knows who sir lawrence olivier is. and
after my father's generation passes, absolutely no one will
"barefoot" <***@comcast.net> wrote in <message

LOL......I vote the above as dumbest statement so far of 2008! Olivier's
place in history is secure and he is regarded as the greatest actor of all
time. I like Harrison Ford movies, but he doesn't even make the list of
great actors. Ford is an icon because of Star Wars and Indiana Jones, but
more of an action hero overall.
northfield
2008-05-05 21:10:48 UTC
Post by Gummby3
[...]
paying.- Hide quoted text -
hi mike - I agree harrison ford signature is over priced and will not
hold value like the hollywood greats. btw, i'm looking for judy
holliday and janis joplin signatures for 2 studies I'm working on. as
well, I purchase ted (theodore) kaczynski signed pieces. please leave
inquiries here and I will contact. Sharon
Mr Black
2008-05-06 09:57:06 UTC
Post by barefoot
good luck..last premiere here (that cop movie with josh hartnett,
hollywood homicide, he came over to the crowd and signed 3 different
times.
we don't get a premiere for that movie in los angeles.
He signed up a storm last time he was here, but unfortunately i did not go,
so have to make up for it this time.
barefoot
2008-05-06 18:03:07 UTC
in response sue...pearl jam is BIGGER than they were in the 90's (and
they don't even make videos or do publicity)...green day is too. many
of the bands of the early nineties have broken up...and they can do
what the 70's and 80s acts are doing now, re grouping and
touring...this includes van halen...van halen DIDN'T last 20
years....for a long time they were van hagar..that wasn't van
halen...just toured under the same name. and it's not even a reunion
tour now as eddie's son is in the band. eventually you'll see
soundgarden get back together...you are already watching how huge the
stone temple pilots are in a reunion as they are close to selling out
their 65 city tour- but i bet the singer doesn't make it through the
tour, his cocain and heroine addictions are SO BAD that he already
looks dead. metallica is a late 80's early 90's, and they will make a
big tour too...but you're right..
but def lappard has a big following, and they SUCK.

by the way, i just fielded an offer for my harrison ford, shia labeouf
combo for $700..so people are willing to pay for good stuff.
barefoot
2008-05-06 18:26:04 UTC
that's why people are paying $600 for tom brady at a private signing
(you don't even get to meet him) or $300 for brett favre...but people
like fran tarkenton, lawrence taylor, john elway just get $100 a
sig...
what's hot is hot (and now) the past doesn't seem to get recognized
anymore.
Gummby3
2008-05-06 19:10:15 UTC
Again, that's a point of view and not fact. Since you deal in
dollars, if it doesn't put money in your hand, then they are not
"recognized" celebs any longer. To me, that just means that the
celebs are more accessible to the real fans and collectors. It's not
anything to get into an argument about. It's simple semantics. You
interpret old actors as not worth the effort and I see them as being
appreciative of true fans that remember them enough to search them
out. Case in point, you said people, for some reason, are paying $600
for Tom Brady and don't even get to see him. That's simply stupid. I
would at least want to have a picture taken with him or,the very
least, shake his hand, for that much money.

While the athletes you mention are impressive, to me, they aren't
worth that much money when I have received HOFers and future HOFers
for a fraction of that or free. I will value my free Earl Campbell
signed cards and my free Craig Biggio and Jeff Bagwell signed
baseballs (both on the sweet spots) because they were willing to sign
with no strings attached. Again, simple semantics. If those people
are happy with their pieces that, odds are (an opinion, not making a
statement as fact), they'll never get their full money back on, then
more power to them. :-)
barefoot
2008-05-07 12:41:00 UTC
i love reading that someone thinks that ford only sells for the "rush"
of him right now...that's idiotic...he's ALWAYS held his value...if
not the fact that the value has gone UP over the last few
years...there's no rush for him cause indy is coming out...
now there is a rush" for robert downey jr...i've had stuff from movies
like chaplin, that i can't give away....but i simply can't get enough
16x20's from iron man with a price tage of $250 plus. so figure
that...but there's no "rush" for ford...he's always been valuable.
look, i just sold a 16x20 for more money than official pix was
charging for a poster (yes, it has shia labeouf on it, but this is
almost DOUBLE the signing price.)

and yes, the personal experience is always nicer than a
purchase...ALWAYS!
mike
Gummby3
2008-05-07 13:59:24 UTC
That's a nice goad, as I'm that "someone", but I'm not going to start
an argument over differing opinions. I personally don't think that
Ford is worth that much money. Nobody living and breathing is unless
they have done something to dramatically impact the world. That does
not include reciting a script or throwing a ball. :-)
mike
barefoot
2008-05-07 14:11:32 UTC
well, i am sorry gummby...i don't pay attention to the names that say
stuff sometimes, and my usenet thing doesn't allow me to re read the
older posts to quote properly, or i would...i do apologize for that
one.
maybe you are right. in fact, i'll say this and sue has hit the nail
right on the head...
today's stars, even if they are tough, do sign a lot more than actors
of yesteryear.
with private signings and a lot more people collecting autographs,
autographs are more abundant.
tom brady did that signing, and it was limited to like 2000
autographs...maybe less...and althought he doesn't sign for free, 2000
autographs may be way more available (even at that ridiculous
price)...i'll bet there aren't even 2000 y.a. tittle autographs
available in the whole market.
same can be said for ford...if i have a lot, and he did a few private
signings for official pix and that master replica's company...there
are probably a lot more ford autographs than say lawrence olivier's or
marlon brando on the market alone (this is not even putting into
account the forgeries). people didn't carry around photos to get
signed or anything...and the liklihood of a studio signing are higher
back then, then they are now.

but i will say this gummby...it's that rational of saying that people
living and breathing aren't worth that money...it's why people are
buying forgeries without knowing what they are getting in to. harrison
ford, if he's willing to sign on set, tells you to wait to the end of
the day...so you can sit ALL DAY..and if his autograph isn't worth
$100 or more, then you wasted your whole day...if you aren't making
$100 a day at your job, you don't have a good job.
maybe $300 is a lot of money. but autograph collecting isn't an easy
job... i tell people everyday that i have to make my money TWICE...i
have to get the autographs AND THEN i have to sell them. it's not like
going to an office job and then just getting a paycheck...
i bought $1000 guitars to get signed by metallica recently (they were
$1000 ea as they were the esp models that the guys endorse), and i had
to wait at the in store signing for over 15 hours in a parking lot
waiting for the signing...you don't think it's worth it to sell the
guitars for $3000 ea (as i have already done)?
mike
Sue H
2008-05-07 14:44:28 UTC
the wait though is your choice. It's almost like I remember a guy who
used to go to cons and add up his food and his taxes, tips etc and
pass that onto the customer. There are times when you could wait 5
minutes and times when you are going to wait 15 hours. Does that then
mean you are going to sell the one item you waited 5 minutes for for
20 bucks? I don't think so.... wait time is something you do. It's
like if a store has problems getting say the Nintendo WII and the wait
is many weeks long. Does that mean the stores will sell it for higher
price? No. There may be black market ones out there for higher, but
a real buisness factors all that stuff in. you dollar cost average.

Many times I've waited hours for people and gave stuff away or sold
for at cost if I had an extra one. I've been selling things for what
value is that I paid and doubling it so that at least I get my items
free or some of my fees back, but really the wait is all me wanting to
do the damned thing in the first place. I don't charge people for
that. Though if this is your ONLY job, I guess you can't wait 15
hours for one B list celeb to sign one thing. That just doesn't make
sense business-wise. You gotta be smart aobut the whole thing.

mike
barefoot
2008-05-07 16:06:10 UTC
yes, the wait time DOES factor into my price. that's not ON me in any
way...
if i waited for 20 minutes and it was an easy autograph to get, then
yes, i do charge minimally....most people, their autograph is of
minimal value...the thing about autographs is that i CHOOSE what i get
to sell an item for...
favtor in easability (matt damon signs a lot, so his autograph isn't
worth all that much), accessability (johnny depp has bodyguards who
YELL at you for one a piece now, so of course i'm going to sell him
higher than i used to)...item it's signed on (depp sells better on a
pirates item than say a sweeney todd item) and a fair market
value...sure, i don't sell ford's autograph unless it's for more than
$200, but that's also because i don't want to sell them. i have a huge
collection, and that mostoftentimes comes first. i my time is
valuable...to sit somewhere and then have someone say that time isn't
valuable is LUDICRIOUS! it is about detail and time...and yes, you
should charge people to sit in a line for hours on end..that's stupid
not to...you do expect a trade on your items, and i've seen you sell
autograph yourself...you wouldn't sell them if they were free and took
you no time...your stamps cost you money for ttm, you don't think that
didn't factor into your pricing...you don't think when todd stands in
all those lines at the collector's shows, he's not charging for his
time??? that's a stupid assumption (and you're usually pretty smart
about these things.)
a day is a day, an hour is an hour...if you aren't charging for your
time, then it's silly to be in any business.
i am not a store specializing in sony WII...i am an autograph dealer,
and i don't tell people "well, i don't have it in right now, but we
expect it to arrive any day now." some people don't sign and i HARDLY
EVER have that person for sale (like a deniro, who by the way i charge
much more than i charge for ford...deniro doesn't sign that often.).
you assumption has no validity at this time sue.
Gummby3
2008-05-07 18:07:59 UTC
You are correct, to a degree. Todd does charge per autograph, as I
have. A whole $5.00 per autograph. That means that a convention
autograph that costs $20.00 totals out to $25.00 + the EXACT amount of
postage to get it to the person. Of course it should be slightly more
for someone like you because a business has to charge sales tax and
the cost of the item. If you're doing it friend to friend or
collector to collector, then there is no reason to charge them any
more than the actual value. Obviously, most people that get con
autographs for others feel the $5.00 is a fair wait time value. We're
at the location anyway. We didn't make a special effort to be there
other than the fact that we were going in the first place.
barefoot
2008-05-08 16:10:20 UTC
it's just that once you are making money at something, you should
always make money at something. sure, i've gotten stuff signed for
friends for free. i've stood at events where i had nothing to get
signed and helped my friends for nothing as well...but you really
learn that you are doing this for future favors and not ever doing
anything for free...help is help, work is work.
i'm just trying to say that difficulty is basically time spent plus
willingness to sign. so priced accordingly, it makes sense.
and i'll still give it that there are less autographs of people like
the three stooges, then there are harrison ford, but ford cost you
about as much as a group signed stooges item as well...
and sadly, even back then, there is a HUGE ttm forgery/secretarial
problem. so you would think that an authentic stooges item would fetch
far more than my ford/labeouf item...but it doesn't because popularity
has waned AND it's not NOW...people really seem to only collect what's
new and hot. and there's still enough people with disposable income,
to pay ridiculous prices for something that's authentic.
barefoot
2008-05-09 17:41:37 UTC
no offense...but kirk douglas has sat on my shelves either at
starbrite or with my own company for several years, with a price of
$75 (psa'd one has only a $100 price tag)...but i can sell 10 kat von
d's in the hour after i get them for just around $50...it's simple
mathematics...while i'm sure that older stars do hold a value (as they
should), it's just one of those out of sight, out of mind things...
sure, someone sees a movie on TMC or Aand E and buys sometimes, but
for the most part, that's simply not the case. and while you'd rather
have a douglas in your collecting instead of kat von d, doesn't mean
you'll take money out of your pocket for it.
and yes, that means dollar signs...but how many times have we seen
collectors on here ask how much something is worth, but saying "i'll
never sell it, i just want to know?" when we all know that these
people are putting a monetary value on their items. be it for
insurance purposes of just for frame of mind/reference. and i would
just say that a star from yesteryear doesn't hold the value of a star
of today.
it's just like my buddy in the card business told a customer while i
was in his store one day. the value of a card stops being what it says
in beckett after they are not in the news any longer...a michael
jordan rookie card doesn't hold the value it did when he was a
player...when he finally gets elected into the hall of fame, it will
see a little jump again, because of the news, but it won't hold that
value for long.

when it comes down to it, something is only worth what someone is
willing to pay for it. i say i don't sell ford, it's not because i'm
waiting for him to die and cash in, it's because i have a general
liking for the movies he's done. if i get a double of something that i
already have, or one of my people got it and it's just not worth it TO
ME to hang on to, then i will sell it...if the autograph isn't up to
par with the ones i have, then i have no interest in it. it's that
simple...
wanna ask if i think people are paying too much???yes i do. i think
$400 is far more money than it's worth. i would only charge around
$200 for most items that i would be willing to sell. combo photos,
well, that's a little bit more. but in the overall scheme of things,
people know what they are getting from me is legit...you don't know
from other people (as we've seen in the flamewar with strickler and
his shill)..there are people who are legit out there, and they are
charging more or less than what i'm charging...that's the beauty of
the free market system, i'm allowed to charge whatever i want...and if
someone wants to pay for it, so be it.

anyway, this has been a nice thread...topics covered and nothing harsh
said about anyone...bravo.
barefoot
2008-05-09 17:49:44 UTC
and yes, something gotten yourself, for free....definately comes with
a better experience. and you should cherish those autographs more than
anything you've bought from a dealer or directly from the star him/
herself...i still have a BUNCH of baseball/football/basketball/hockey
cards that i got signed that started me off in all this in the first
place.
i can still say that rollie fingers was my first autograph on a card
(still have it, signed in ballpoint pen because i didn't know any
better)...michael jordan was the first photo i ever got signed (still
have it too, it's signed in black sharpie). nolan ryan was the first
person i was really ever "starstruck" to get in his last years with
the rangers and i still have both of those (and i've bought a few from
his website as the money goes to charity)..i still have the roger
clemens that my dad got that he gave me for getting all b's or better
on my report card in 1991. i still have all the oakland a's
autographed cards and photos that i got when the a's came to phoenix
during the world series that was interrupted by the earthquakes (was
still in high school then, took the day off, it's the only time i've
ever gotten rickey henderson)..still have one of my nirvana signed
magazines that i got myself after they played the arizona state fair
(kurt killed himself later that tour).
so i've gotten a lot and i cherish some of that stuff a lot more than
anything i get now. shoot, between me and 3 other people working with
me, i got over 50 tom petty autographs the week he was in town playing
the troubador...and i could sell every one of those and not even be
upset...the only thing i've really been upset in selling was the
broken guitar neck that kurt cobain gave me personally from his show
at the forum in los angeles. i got $2 grand for it, but to this day, i
would have liked to held on to it (i sold it before his death).
barefoot
2008-05-10 07:37:50 UTC
oh, and uncle harry did sign today after an appearance on jay
leno...he would have signed much more, but people were really
pushy...i got the FIRST one in the car, and he used my silver marker
for the item...but everyone needs a special pen for things, and they
need to push...so he didn't sign much.
mike
barefoot
2008-05-18 01:25:34 UTC
mr. b....when is the australian premiere? we don't get one in los
angeles (even though they shot most of the movie there and my friend
eric drove karen allen on the movie.)...
wonder if he does/did sign at the premiere...
at the last premiere in los angeles (hollywood homicide) he came over
to fans and signed 3 different times...(whoops, he had a firewall
premiere and he didn't sign at all...forgot about that one.)

mike
Sue H
2008-05-18 01:37:13 UTC
this is a stretch; doubt your friend would know as he's in the states
and may be an independent driver for all I know, but I have an odd
question... would you happen to know who the companies they used for
drivers for the Harry Potter films were? I have been trying to track
down the major car companies....

mike
barefoot
2008-05-18 01:53:26 UTC
no, when they shoot a movie, they use teamster drivers...people who
drive steak beds and grip trucks etc, as drivers...it's much cheaper
than using a car service for a 3 month shoot...
my friend gary has been ron howard's and tim burton's driver on their
movies for over 10 years...and my buddy eric is his roomate who's been
in the business for just a few...
i did it too...i drove george clooney on three kings in
arizona...that's how i ended up in los angeles, thought i would work
on movies forever. but then the actor's strike happened and ended up
doing autographs instead...

if you ever see a real movie call sheet, you'd see...
actually, you can look them up on imdb.com for most of them..and gary
even gets credits in movies..
there's a whole side business where there's a "driver coordinator" who
hires a crew.
i don't have any credits on imdb, but my friends do...

and i'll tell you this..you've always been right on this one sue..the
people who work on sets, don't generally ask for autographs from the
people they are working with... if they do, it's like AT MOST 5
autographs of a person per show...but i do get some great tips of
where the sets are when my friends work on movies...it's how i got my
photo with arnold in the leather jacket and sunglasses on the set of
terminator 3. email me directly and i'll tell you my friend's names
and you can look them up on imdb.com.

and no, i wasn't thinking that eric would know if harrison signed in
australia, i was asking mr. b if he did or when the premiere was
there..that's all. i know you probably read that wrong.

and to answer your question about the harry potter thing correctly,
unless the actor's hire a driver themselves (or have it on their
rider) it would be a set driver...it's likely that it's the same
drivers on every movie (especially if the actor's parents really liked
the drivers, like my friend gary)...but they could realistically have
a different driver for every movie.
mike
Sue H
2008-05-18 14:24:31 UTC
There's a guy I am looking for (driver) who did work on Charlie and
the Chocolate Factory too... it could be possible your guy met him and
might know what company was out there then.

I don't know what comment you are referring to on the MR. B question.
Don't remember commenting on that. No consequence to me anyway.

This guy is the same driver for all the movies. He's in some of the
films and even has some minor speaking roles and is one of my biggest
pain in the arse's to find. He actually signed trading cards for
companies so... I must find him! He's probably in the top three
people bugging me that I can't find (name way too common, lives in UK
and is low profile). I am out of my mind when I can't find someone
because usually if I work hard enough, anyone can be found but this
one .... UGH. I've been on call sheets and read through credits
(companies and special thanks) as well as blindly emailing potential
candidates.

I may email you later for the guy's name. Maybe he can quess at least
at the name of companies Tim Burton uses. No clue is ever too small
to work off of. You get the name of one and they tell you another and
then you reach someone who knows... it's all possible to get.

mike
barefoot
2008-05-18 20:00:10 UTC
ok..i'll see...gary does a lot of work with burton (but didn't work on
sweeney todd.) but i do know derek really well, he's tim's personal
assistant and has been for over 12 years...he actually gets an exec
producer credit on the last few tim movies...i think he was even the
first credited name at the end of corpse bride...derek made a huge
choice in movie to london with tim when tim started living with helena
bonham carter...
that's truly the extent of my "contacts" though...it's not like i know
a ton of people in hollywood in high up posistions...

like gary said, he's the guy next to the guy...he actually has some
cool pics of him on the set with jim carrey and ron howard with him in
the bg.

Gummby3
2008-05-06 18:53:26 UTC
LOL I'll definitely have to say that we have a difference of opinion
on Def Leppard and leave it at that. :-)

Again, regarding Ford, are these people "willing" to pay that much or
is it an impulse buy because of the Indy Jones rush right now? I feel
that it's nothing but impulse and the prices will level off just like
it has for other living celebs. I would love to have Ford in my
collection. Not because he's a great actor. He's had almost as many
ho-hum movies as he has had hits. For me, it would be of more
sentimental autograph to me. I was 7 years old and 'Star Wars' was
the first major movie that I ever saw when it premiered in 1977. I
still clearly remember sitting with my family in a line that wrapped
around the theater FOUR times. He's just not sentimental enough to me
for several hundred dollars. :-)