for sue... the star wars autograph collecting groups and a note
b***@yahoo.com
2009-01-29 18:09:09 UTC
hey sue,
for starters, i sent you an email a little bit ago about an item i
have...let me know what you think.

ok, a few months ago, i saw that you were posting a bit about some
idiots approving star wars autographs and grading them as far as if
they were a 10, or a 2 based on niceness etc...
can you tell me which websites you were talking about...

some guy emailed me in regards to a poster that i'm selling for a
friend and someone gave the item a 2 on the harrison ford (it's real,
it's just really crappy)...but then, this guy made an offer for the
poster (wanting it really badly.)...so i wanted to see this stuff you
were talking about...

just for reference...we were selling the poster for $1500, and then
this guy gives me a 2 rating on the poster for the ford autograph (he
gave us higher grades for like fisher, hammill, lucas, daniels, dake
etc.)...but then the guy who GAVE US the grade called and wanted to
buy it for $500...obviously, it was a ploy to lower my price...but i
would like to know where people are getting their information.
thanks in advance.
2009-01-30 04:06:09 UTC
Hey Mike, will email tomorrow on this and the other thing. Heading
for bed right now.

2009-01-30 16:20:30 UTC
Yeah, the item I am not interested in (though it's a way cool thing).
It's a money matter (sorry). thanks for the offer though.

Second, on this, yes, there's a new thing in the past year or so going
on mostly in the Star Wars realm. I just explained this to my friend
who emailed and asked if I'd spread the word about his auction he
wants to hold privately. He doesn't want to do Ebay now (however, I
don't have the connections I once did as all the older collectors
STOPPED collecting as the new collectors came and took over, losing
their ever-loving minds....). He won't do well in his auction with
the newbies because he's got a lot of what I have (inscribed, lesser
items etc).

Here's what's going on: let's say you had 5 years ago a rare sig from
Star Wars like Jack Purvis and it's on a crappy ripped piece of paper
inscribed to someone and hardly worth mounting with a matte but it
could barely be done but not look great. A collector like myself is
into the rarity of the item. I'd take that and work it out so that at
minimum, I'd have his sig in my collection (if legit); at least till
another came along. Now though, if you have a 8x10 good quality photo
of say a common signer like Kenny Baker signed on the sweetspot in the
right marker, against the Jack Purvis, the Baker might sell for more!
People are passing over the rarer names in lieu of "choice" photos
signed "just the right way".

These new collectors are RIDICULOUS. How this started is simple: one
or two collectors started to amass items and their choice was 8x10's
mainly. They put their items online for others to see. New
interested parties saw them. These 8x10 guys became what I was once:
the new fathers of Star Wars collectors. So now, all the newbies look
up to them. It's insanity. The problem lies in the lack of actual
knowledge they have in some areas like forgery. They are SOOOOO wrong
continually. Mainly, there are some buying things that are wrong and
getting seals of approval and there is now MUCH more forgery in the
field. That's why I am not in it anymore. If REALLY serious newbies
are into actual signatures and are willing to sacrifice 8x10's and
"choice" for REAL stuff, they know where I am.

I don't know about the ranking system. But email me the name of the
person bidding if you know and perhaps I can tell you if he's part of
this new "elitest" crowd who are insane.

2009-01-30 16:25:22 UTC
PS because people want 8x10's, materprints from C2 or 11x14's, the
odds of having rarer names is impossible. There were none of these
things available back in the times these films came out. People
actually collected graphs in things like autograph albums, on shirts
or index cards, or promotional items of the day. There weren't
collectors waiting in the wings with 8x10's to sign. It's way
different now. So now, you'll see more Peter Cushing, Alec Guinness
and others on 8x10's which are 'possible' to have on an 8x10, but the
rarity is more than people think. Most are forged; so this new
movement towards 8x10's makes the field much more ripe for forgeries.