Question for the group-
pe2
2008-11-12 23:25:12 UTC
Ok-

Sunday at church-we had a guest speaker, and it was our local Congressman.
He gave a great "sermon" of what is going on in DC from a christian
perspective. After his message, they allowed time to for the people to come
up front and talk with him.

I wanted to get an autograph from him-but didn't know if it was the right
place or time, knowing he was there to worship, and not out in the field
working.

Question-from the regulars-was I right in not asking while at church?

Happy Hunting! pe2
Lorrie S.
2008-11-13 02:34:01 UTC
Dunno........what would Jesus do?
Zoom
2008-11-13 05:26:18 UTC
Probably ask for money.
Gummby3
2008-11-12 23:44:46 UTC
I don't think that it would have been inappropriate. He was there in
his capacity as a Congressmen and it was after services. If anything,
you could have opened up the avenue by asking him what would be the
best way to make a request. It would have then been up to him to
offer to sign or not. Considering that it would have taken just as
much time to write down an address/phone number/email address, he
probably would have just signed. :-)
--
Mike
Gummby3
Happy Hunting! pe2
Sue H
2008-11-13 01:33:55 UTC
I agree; at that time, I'd of asked for a card to contact him or
waited till he was leaving and away from the crowd to ask for a
graph... mentioning you didn't want to do it at an inappropriate time
(he would have most likely signed then knowing you were trying to be
gracious about it).

I'd suggest sending a handwritten note telling him how much you
enjoyed the sermon and ask for a sig at that point. Elections are
over and if he's been "re-elected" he'd probably have time. If newly
elected he may be too busy but if not in office till jan, now might be
the time.
Zoom
i thought a graph was something used in math or science,not church.
Gummby3
2008-11-13 02:42:11 UTC
Please tell me that you're not going to be this petty about the use of
an abbreviation that others have used on here... or is this an
instance of your "humor"?
--
Post by Zoom
Post by Sue H
I agree; at that time, I'd of asked for a card to contact him or
waited till he was leaving and away from the crowd to ask for a
graph... mentioning you didn't want to do it at an inappropriate time
(he would have most likely signed then knowing you were trying to be
gracious about it).
I'd suggest sending a handwritten note telling him how much you
enjoyed the sermon and ask for a sig at that point. Elections are
over and if he's been "re-elected" he'd probably have time. If newly
elected he may be too busy but if not in office till jan, now might be
the time.
Terry
2008-11-13 02:17:49 UTC
But on the other hand...a politician is always campaining and will never
take a chance on losing a vote. I think asking him would be very
appropriate. He was there as a congressman, not as a preacher.
Happy Hunting! pe2
chip1057
2008-11-14 17:53:38 UTC
Hey PE2,
I think it would be okay since the guest speaker was invited to speak,
and the pastor invited the
members to come to meet him. You could have asked politely.

However, there are times if you see a celebrity in a church, and they
want privacy to worship,
I would recommend don't bother them, unless they come outside and
talking with people out of
church.

Chip