Postal tutorial for those sending from US to UK and back
2008-08-24 21:42:33 UTC
Okay, I get a ton of emails asking me about postage to and from
varying countries, and though the info is indeed on my site, I still
get lots of emails asking about this, so I decided to post it. It's
for a 9x12 (or 8x10) 2 ounce envelope to the UK and back again (but
the tutorial helps for all weights/sizes). Here ya go:

What you need to do is go onto the www.usps.com website for our
postage (when you mail out) and there's a chart that'll tell you how
much postage you'll need to send to the UK. Click "Calculate
postage", then the International button, then choose the country
(Great Britain, Englad or whatever they list). Then pick the size of
your envelope (large envelope) and enter the weight. It'll give you
the cost depending on how you want to send it (probably regular first
class air mail). But your best bet is just take it to the post office
and they'll tell you unless you have a really good postage scale. You
can buy a postage scale at Office supply stores, Costco, BJ's, Sam's
Clubs, Ebay, Amazon.com or other places online.

Coming back, you'll need British stamps. You can't use US ones and
they no longer make International Response Coupons (IRC's) I hear.
The only way to get these stamps is three ways:

1) Order online (and to do so, you'll need to spend a minimum amount
of like 35 pounds or about 70 US dollars or perhaps order a specific
number... like 50 stamps or something like that). You can go to their
site and pick out the amount you need at: www.royalmail.co.uk. To find
out which denomination of stamp(s) you'll need, click "Postal Prices".
Then scroll down to "international Delivery Options" and pick "Air
Mail". In the Drop down box pick "USA". A chart appears. It's based
on grams ... I am not good at conversion (sorry), so what you need to
do is go to another site and use a conversion (grams to ounces).
Here's a site for you:
http://www.metric-conversions.org/weight/ounces-to-grams.htm. Type in
your weight. Let's say it's 2 ounces (make sure you have that right
because even .1 can make a difference). If it is 2 oz, you will see
it comes to 56.699 grams (round up to 57 to be safe). Then go back to
your chart on the Royal mail site and see a letter from the UK back to
the USA that weighs 57 grams is:

Weight
60g £1.64. Remember, that's not 1.64 dollars, that's British Pounds
or Sterling. So you can go to see what that means in US dollars by
going here:
http://finance.yahoo.com/currency/convert?amt=1.64&from=GBP&to=USD&submit=Convert
Put in £1.64. British Pound and pick convert to USA dollar. Today's
rate (if you ordered today, what your credit card would show) is 3.04
(well 3.037 so they'll round to 3.04). Also note, they might not have
1.64 stamps and you might have to buy a combination of stamps to make
the £1.64..

You have more than 40 and less than 60, so 60 is what you need to go
with and see Europe and rest of the world (we are in the "rest of the
world" part), so you will need 1.64 pounds. You may have to buy many
of these in order to buy online. They may have a limit. And they may
not be selling these internationally (depends who you talk with on the
phone or by email if they'll sell to you any particular day; sometimes
they will and sometimes not; if not, try tomorrow or next week. Or if
you emailed, try calling instead (or vice versa). The phone number
and email is on their site. Email takes a LONGer time. And it'll
take you a long time to get the stamps too (sometimes as long as a
month). Oh, and you can only buy with a credit card... You'll need a
Visa or Mastercard I believe.

2) the other option is trying to find a stamp shop online or in your
neighborhood and asking them to get them for you. www.unicover.com
used to sell stamps but don't know if they're still doing it etc. I
can't vouch for them anymore so you can only research that if you
want.

3) your last option is finding a group of collectors who might help
you out or sell you a few or go in with you to buy some. If you
haven't already, you can join stamp or autograph collecting groups and
ask them.

It may be necessary to convert sizes too (that one site above also
have converters for measures - ie inches to centimeters etc). The UK
site you didn't need to worry about the envelope size anymore for some
reason... I like that!

I know this is long, but hopefully it's a good tutorial and helps.
2008ny
2008-08-25 00:50:24 UTC
Post by Sue H
[...]
Nope,didn't mean a thing
Keep trying !!!
Sue H
2008-08-25 01:08:16 UTC
It was for anyone actually INTERESTED in collecting that may not
know... and there must be; they're emailing me. Oh and sad about the
cow, your mom and the knees... heard all about it.
Keep trying !!!
2008ny
2008-08-26 04:11:32 UTC
Post by 2008ny
Post by Sue H
[...]
I feel bad now,I didn't realize how bad off you are.
Now you are not even making sense.
Here's hoping those millions of e-mails from abroad keep you going.
Did you ever count how many posts you have here ?
Did you ever count how many of your post actually have any meaning ?
44 posts from 6/12 untill now,a lot of time,with nothing to say.
I'd say you are here just so you feel some shred of importance.
Keep trying to insult me...you need the practice.
You seem to depend on this ng to answer an awful lot of questions.
Killing time,or you simply don't have the resources to learn anything on
your own.
Reading your posts is very comical...for example..You asked at one time how
long will
you ears ring after the epic REO show..no doctors here..just autograph
collectors.
Been to previous concerts ?
If so,I guess you could answer your own question.
I guess trolls know far more about life than newsgroup dwellers.
At least we know how to help ourselves,and not waste space here asking
foolish questions.
Heres looking for post 45 !!!!
Sue H
2008-08-26 01:49:08 UTC
A little research about you led to the "nonsense" above.

As for how many posts; most of them are responding to your crap.

I don't have to come here to feel important. I have many interests
other than here (this just happens to be something I enjoy). I also
love letting ridiculous people such as yourself spout ... it shows
just who you are.

No doctors on here but a lot of people with experience going to events
where celebs are to get graphs for the collection. Um, even one
posted about Alice Cooper today. And to answer your question, yep, go
to tons of concerts from David Cassidy (nice one for you to rag on...
oh and I'll probably go to see Sesame Street Live with my grandbaby,
so I'll be sure to get Elmo's graph for her too... so there you go,
nice one for you to sit for an hour to try to come up with a joke
for...) when I was 10 years old to local bands to alternative, pop and
hard rock. You?

Oh, I am not a fan of Paris or Miley or any of those teeny boppers out
there, but yep, I'd probably get in a line to get their graphs too.
If I didn't want them, I'd trade for something I did want... or I'd
give it away. I've done that many times before. And yep, if Styx
comes here, I'll proabably stand in line for the best tickets... I
love the group and Tommy Shaw is one of my favorite rockers. They
always put on a great show. For you to ridicule what someone collects
because YOUR taste is different, means something for sure. First, we
already know your age give or take a few years. You are definately
younger. Your income is obviously low. That's pretty obvious. Since
you are young and have a low income, you probably are not educated,
but you seem to put sentences together ok, so maybe you went to a
small school if any at all (junior or tech college would be my guess).
How am I doing? I'll spare you guessing on me; people know on here
who I am; I don't hide who I am. UNLIKE YOU.

You seem to not be collecting or hiding who you are... and you are on
here as much as me (I don't work so have the time; you on the other
hand are a LOT younger, and I wonder about if your part time
McDonald's job, or your welfare check is what allows you to be on
here). You seem bitter by attacking people on here who collect
interesting items, or people who attend events. Shows me you are
jealous. Either that, or you are just a whako. Michael Jackson move
over!

You can rag on my tastes in music, what I enjoy doing or what
autographs I collect. Or you can do it to others. It doesn't bother
me in the least and to the others, I'd suggest ignoring you as you are
not worth their time. I however, as you said have LOTS o' time, so
bring it on. It makes me happy knowing how bugged you are by by my
long posts, so I am making sure this one is EXTRA long. Having fun
yet?

So doubtful you know anything about life. You dwell here recently
without EVER a post related to autograph collecting. WHY? I know and
I've had a couple emails about that question from others here... they
too realize it's either personal for a specific reason, or because
that's all you do... TROLL because you don't know how to have fun the
normal ways. I am guessing others will give up and not respond to you.
Feeding trolls means they'll keep on. But at least they can put you
on ignore. Most have already. I can appreciate that and I could too
I suppose, but I know you wouldn't have a life at all without me... I
got a huge feeling I keep you alive.

POST NUMBER 45 and if I want, 450 or 4500. See, there's a such a
thing where everyone can filter us out and it's just you and me ... so
let's go another round. I'm here for you!
Heres looking for post 45 !!!!
2008ny
2008-08-27 05:48:24 UTC
Post by Sue H
[...]
Face it,you are only here for yourself.Everything you spout spells that out.
You really have no idea how clueless you are.
You are exactly what I spelled out,no more,no less.
Your insults are as lame as can be,McDonalds,welfare,teenager,whats next ?
Its not about tastes,you are just recycling trash,face it.
No one gives a damn who you collect,how long you waited to get a guitar pick
thrown at you.
Your fish in a barrel stories are tired.
I'll tell you this much,you know nothing about me and all your guesses about
me
are dead wrong.
You simply can't handle a difference of opinion,he can't come up with
anything.
What my income has to do with anything is beyond imagination.
Yeah,I 'm dirt poor,but I DO collect sigs,better that eating,or having a
roof over
my head.
Jeez,do you scare yourself,you should.

THE END
Sue H
2008-08-27 03:09:11 UTC
Post by 2008ny
Face it,you are only here for yourself.Everything you spout spells that out.
You really have no idea how clueless you are.
You are exactly what I spelled out,no more,no less.
Your insults are as lame as can be,McDonalds,welfare,teenager,whats next ?
Well then, tell us who you REALLY are. If I am wrong, please, feel
free.
Post by 2008ny
Its not about tastes,you are just recycling trash,face it.
Excuse me?
Post by 2008ny
No one gives a damn who you collect,how long you waited to get a guitar pick
thrown at you.
Your fish in a barrel stories are tired.
That's your opinion. If you don't like it, you don't have to read it.
Your rants and picking on everyone on here, are equally as tiring
(even MORESO).
Post by 2008ny
I'll tell you this much,you know nothing about me and all your guesses about
me
are dead wrong.
Do tell? You won't. You are a coward...
Post by 2008ny
You simply can't handle a difference of opinion,he can't come up with
anything.
You don't have a difference of any opinion; you responded to ANY POSTS
RELATING TO THE SUBJECT OF THIS GROUP and the ONLY difference of
opinion you've EVER spoke of is you didn't like my stories, posts and
tastes in music. I could care less about that. You have NOTHING of
substance to say. That equals uneducated and pathetic.
Post by 2008ny
What my income has to do with anything is beyond imagination.
I was hoping to for you to ask that. Poor pay means you are probably
uneducated, or at least lazy or a child. Either of these things
explains your trolling. It's indeed relevant. You will note that
people with jobs, or people with education do NOT act the way you
have.
Post by 2008ny
Yeah,I 'm dirt poor,but I DO collect sigs,better that eating,or having a
roof over my head.
First, that sentence makes absolutely NO sense. Second, you collect
what? You have never even posted one success, one in person story,
one bit of help to anyone... NOTHING but bashing what others try to
contribute or bash their choices of collecting. You hide your ID.
you are either someone we already know, a new troll with no purpose or
someone with a grudge. There is no other explanation for doing what
you do on here...
Post by 2008ny
Jeez,do you scare yourself,you should.
Thanks for posting, I was worried I'd not get my fill of long posts in
today.
Post by 2008ny
THE END
Or is it? Come out of hiding and play like a REAL person.