National Bookfest finally put out its guest list
2008-07-22 21:44:32 UTC
Here it is (again, not that impressive for the second straight year
but a couple good ones). I've only heard of a few at most. Tiki
Barber, Bob Lanier, Dionne Warwick, Sandra Brown I've seen her books
always in the stores though. Kay Bailey Hutchinson I know but who
cares and I already met RL Stein and Neil Gaiman and have a book
signed by Paul Theroux. I think Walter Isaacson is one I'll go for.
I don't know his work but would be interested in reading maybe. Might
go for Dionne Warwick and the poster artist. Is anyone else worth it
(waiting in long lines?).

Tiki Barber
Bob Lanier
Jan Brett
Marc Brown
David A. Carter
Doreen Cronin
Betsy Lewin
Kadir Nelson
Doreen Rappaport
David Shannon
Judy Sierra
Judith Viorst
Dionne Warwick
Mary Brigid Barrett
Joseph Bruchac
Sharon Draper
Neil Gaiman
Steven Kellogg
Katherine Paterson
Andrea Davis Pinkney
Matthew Reinhart
Robert Sabuda
Jon Scieszka
Charles R. Smith, Jr.
R. L. Stine
Louis Bayard
Geraldine Brooks
Sandra Brown
Marisa de Los Santos
Philippa Gregory
James McBride
Brad Meltzer
Richard Price
Francine Prose
Peter Robinson
Salman Rushdie
Alexander McCall Smith
Rick Atkinson
Michael Dobbs
Kimberly Dozier
Tony Horwitz
Kay Bailey Hutchison
Walter Isaacson
David Maraniss
Cokie Roberts
Bob Schieffer
Daniel Schorr
Paul Theroux
Gordon S. Wood
Warren Brown
Marcus Buckingham
Eleanor Clift
George Duran
Arthur Frommer
Pauline Frommer
Mike Richman
Michelle Singletary
Eavan Boland
Elsa Cross
Michael Lind
Molly Peacock
Jill Allyn Rosser
Kay Ryan
Sue H
Kay Ryan
Max@MGMemorabilia
Kay Ryan
Rick Cooper
2008-07-23 08:55:36 UTC
"Sue H" <***@cox.net> wrote in message news:***@4ax.com...

In order of value and importance:

1. Salmon Rushdie. Don't leave without this one. His autograph is almost
impossible and will become one of the most valuable author signatures in
history due to his need to live in reclusion because of the Fatwa issued
against his life by the Ayatollah. Muslim assassins are still trying to
locate him. Maybe not the brightest idea, announcing in advance that he
will appear in DC.

2. Tiki Barber. Future NFL Hall of Famer.

3. Bob Lanier. NBA Hall of Famer

4. Dionne Warwick

The rest.......blah
Manor House

The rest.......blah
Sue H
2008-07-23 14:22:00 UTC
Maybe I'll check it out. I don't read so much these days because of
the computer though.

The rest.......blah
Bob
2008-07-23 10:14:59 UTC
I'm not sure Salmon Rushdie is hiding so much these days. He had
married that actress who hosted Top Shelf so he could have been found
threw her and as of 2006, Rushdie joined the Emory University faculty
as Distinguished Writer in Residence for one month a year for the next
five years.

That said I would still get him if you can.
Bob
2008-07-23 10:15:46 UTC
Top Chef....darn spelling mistake
Sue H
2008-07-23 14:21:14 UTC
or perhaps freudian slip (referring to her chest?!) LOL
Sue H
2008-07-23 14:20:39 UTC
Yeah; he's not hiding for a while. He's actually divorced or
divorcing. It was her choice I heard somewhere. I don't know if they
are trying to kill him anymore; they got bigger fish to fry, but you
never know who he'll make mad next!
Rick Cooper
2008-07-23 17:45:18 UTC
"Sue H" <***@cox.net> wrote in message news:***@4ax.com...
I don't know if they
Post by Sue H
are trying to kill him anymore
In early 2005, Khomeini's fatwa was reaffirmed by Iran's spiritual leader,
Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, in a message to Muslim pilgrims making the annual
pilgrimage to Mecca. Additionally, the Revolutionary Guards have declared
that the death sentence on him is still valid. Iran has rejected requests
to withdraw the fatwa on the basis that only the person who issued it may
withdraw it, and the person who issued it is dead.

Salman Rushdie has reported that he still receives a "sort of Valentine's
card" from Iran each year on February 14 letting him know the country has
not forgotten the vow to kill him.

During the 2006 Jyllands-Posten Muhammad cartoons controversy, Hezbollah
leader Hassan Nasrallah declared that "If there had been a Muslim to carry
out Imam Khomeini's fatwa against the renegade Salman Rushdie, this rabble
who insult our Prophet Mohammed in Denmark, Norway and France would not have
dared to do so. I am sure there are millions of Muslims who are ready to
give their lives to defend our prophet's honour and we have to be ready to
do anything for that.

protested. Parliamentarians of several of these countries condemned the
action, and Iran and Pakistan called in their British envoys to protest
formally. Mass demonstrations against Rushdie's knighthood took place in
Pakistan and Malaysia. Several called publicly for his death.

According to a July 2007 report by the BBC, Al-Qaeda have also condemned the
Rushdie honour. The Al-Qaeda deputy Ayman al-Zawahiri is quoted as saying in
an audio recording that Britain's award for Indian-born Rushdie was "an
insult to Islam", and it was planning "a very precise response."
Sue H
2008-07-23 14:45:38 UTC
Well, I guess he's not too worried about it! Let's just pray they
don't try something during this event! Wouldn't that be something?
Near yards from the White House?!

On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 10:45:18 -0700, "Rick Cooper"
Post by Sue H
I don't know if they
Sue H
2008-07-23 14:23:05 UTC
Nah, he's been on Oprah in the last couple years I think and not too
much in hiding. I think it was just the first year or so they were
after him.

The rest.......blah
Lee Cochenour
2008-07-23 19:16:34 UTC
Rushdie has done several booksignings over the last 5 years or so. He
doesn't do huge tours for his books, but has already done at least half a
dozen signings for his new book in the last 2 months.

Lee
Check out the Celebrity Book Signings Site:
http://www.geocities.com/leecoke/