Tidewater Spots going out of business
2008-07-07 12:59:17 UTC
Sad to see it. Got the email this morning; all signings are cancelled
and all items in the store are 10% off.

I've seen a ton of businesses going out of business. A ton of
restaurants around here are going down fast and a lot of storefronts
have for rent/lease on them.

On Tidewater, I was always wondering how they stay in business. Too
much inventory at higher prices. People see a couple thousand items
and think "no problem, I can't afford it today I'll come back later"
instead of "oh wow, there's only a few, I'd better get it now or no
chance ever again". And their signings are good but really the celebs
are out of control with their prices and we just can't afford to pay
them anymore. I don't know about you, but gas if 4.00 a gallon and so
is milk (actually it's 5.00 plus in some places) and I went grocery
shopping the other day and went for the same ground beef (the lean
stuff at 92%) which was under 3.00 a pound and this week it was almost
5.00 a pound! I went to get vegetable oil and normally that is like
6.00 or so for a large jug and this time? 12.00! This is not pennies
we are talking about, this is many dollars per item on some things!

I always wonder though, that why businesses who are not doing well
don't take feedback well when it's offered or perhaps don't ask for
feedback at all. I once commented here how Tidewater Sports was
overpriced and needed to vary it's signers and organize a little more
(promote better and then get items for players to sign and sell
there). They got defensive about it. Instead of getting defensive,
why not ask the public? Another thing too... if you keep getting the
same players to come, you've worn out your market as people don't need
to go back twice or there are so many to pick from that you can't
afford them all so have to pick and choose. So if you have a hall of
famer coming and then 3 other guys before and after of little known
status, people will pick which then want more as the hall of famer is
probably really expensive. Most likely they'll pick him and skip the
other three. Since it's a niche market, there's not that many
customers.
Rob Dilfer
2008-07-07 18:16:44 UTC
Milk is only $2.50 a gallon here and McDonalds double cheeseburgers are
still only $1 each.
Not sure about store hamburger and vegetable oil.
customers.
Sue H
2008-07-07 15:31:12 UTC
Do you live in the midwest? I know housing there is cheaper too.
Probably wheat products as well.