OT: Virus; be careful
2008-06-30 13:13:33 UTC
I got a virus yesterday by doing a Google search on my website (I do
that once a year to see what's going on and some interesting stuff
popped up). On one site (foreign site) they appeared to be taking
photos and deep linking on purpose to my site... (banter back and
forth on a forum) but was hard to tell.

Then the other site got me... JUST after that site above, I was
suspicious so the next site had a "video" with my site's name on it.
When I went to hit play (and for a while I was suspicious it was a
virus, but I've never ever seen a site before that was set up to lure
people into it!; usually viruses are by email, or in links people send
etc). So after talking to my hubby, he said to click and stupid me
listened and boom... virus. What an ever loving pain in the ass this
virus is. It's called the IE Anti-virus and before it was completely
downloaded I stopped it, but not good enough.

you Couldn't click on anything without a notice saying I had to
download certain software. to get rid of it, my hubby tried various
things including a system restore. THAT deleted my desktop and all
its contents (I still have on my PC but have to reorganize everything,
find everything and even rename things). My email wouldn't work
either. And then there was of course all the spyware etc I had to run
to try to get rid of it and after 5 or 6 programs, we had to "buy" one
that actually fixed it (I am wondering if this virus was invented by
them).

I almost never get fooled with stuff. I delete almost everything and
am savvy to scams but this one was new to me. So be VERY careful.
Sites you go on are designed SPECIFICALLY for this virus and nothing
more... the virus was called the IE Anti-virus or something to that
effect.

I am running now but gee friggin whiz; what a pain. I just know karma
will multiply 10 times the time that was wasted from each person who
had to fix their stuff onto the makers... so looks like they'll be in
jail or hell for quite a while.
Bob
2008-07-01 07:42:09 UTC
I hear you Sue. I only go to a few sites on my home pc, download
nothing and don't open forwarded jokes and somehow I have a keystroke
trojan, atleast that's what I think it is, becuase someone hacked my
hotmail account and sent emails to everyone in my address book.

I ran a macafee scan and nothign came up so I might need to buy
something new. Any recomendations from anyone or does anyone know a
good free one?

Bob
Sue H
2008-07-01 13:32:51 UTC
Well someone told me Spysweeper which I already had and tried. It's
good for most things, but did not pick up my virus. I also ran
Ashampoo which caught other things but not this. I ran MacAfee as
well... and Windows program (forgot it's name off hand). Norton I did
not use. I used to have it but it caused me problems (conflicts).
Norton might be good to try. I didn't do the other couple my hubby
tried so I don't know their names but when he gets here, I'll ask the
name of the one that finally ridded me of it.