Post office extra fees for writing on envelopes
2008-03-14 02:56:06 UTC
My husband told me the last batch of mail he mailed for me, he was
charged 33 cents per enevelope because the words "Do Not Bend" were
written on the envelopes. Has anyone come across this before?
Gummby3
2008-03-14 03:00:32 UTC
I have. They consider that extra work now because it means that they have
to actually HAND sort the mail instead of just letting the machines do every
bit of their union salary job. :-) It's just another milking from the PO.
They're charging extra for the job that they are supposedly getting paid to
do to begin with. Don't forget we're getting another postage hike even
though there has not been any significant delivery improvement since the
last hike...
--
Mike
Gummby3
2008-03-14 13:59:13 UTC
There's not been ANY improvement at all in a couple years; the service
is worse and worse and not just at your home. At the post offices,
inside the post offices look run down, the fees are horrible, they
stop putting out supplies they used to give away, they are
merchandising stuff more (like Postal teddy bears, trucks, banks etc),
their workers are not dressed appropriately half the time, and the
online stamp service used to arrive in one or two business days, now
it takes a week or more.

I wonder where all the money is going????? Give me a break it's about
gas prices. The workers in several of the post offices here don't
even have air conditioning! I think someone at the top is living high
on the hog.

And you are right; they SHOULD be taking care with ALL their mail.
And how many times have you gotten an envelope back that said do not
bend and it was bent, ripped or crumbled? Do they give you your money
back? If it was fast food, you'd get another meal or an apology or
your money back; why not the post office?

last hike...
Calrima@aol.com
2008-03-14 05:07:07 UTC
Yes, I sure have. I was told that now it required SPECIAL handling
since it was a SOLID OBJECT and they were charging more for this
service. 99% of the time, there has never been a problem.

I rececently had a photo damaged that was sent out in an 8 x 10
toploader. It seems the mailman bent it in half to make it fit the
mailbox. The toploader was even cracked and destroyed due to the I
I WILL MAKE IT FIT mentality.

My best to all,

Dennis
Owner
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/autographdc/
Sam Jaber
2008-03-14 07:12:42 UTC
As many of you know I am well versered in the law. I just looked it
up in the USC rules and the post office is NOT allowed to charge for
that. Next time they try to do this to you have them call over a
postal inspector. The postal inspector will look up the law real fast
and reverse is. Special handing fees according to the law can only be
charged on oversized beakable items or items with a declared value.
Sue H
2008-03-14 14:01:37 UTC
How old is the law you are reading? Is it possible this is a new one
that isn't online yet? this is a new charge here (at least for us
personally; it's our first encounter with it).

Sue H
2008-03-14 14:00:25 UTC
And did you get a repayment for that item? Or the person who sent it
to you a refund on their cost to mail it? Not likely... someone needs
to start policing the post office if you ask me.
chip1057
2008-03-14 15:37:43 UTC
I had a office store create me a stamp for Photos: Do Not Bend. So I
just stamp that on the envelop
so it's easier for them to read.

I haven't heard the thing about the extra fees though.

Chip
Sam Jaber
2008-03-14 15:48:03 UTC
the law i quoted is current. it is from the usc (united states codes)
which get updated every month
Sue H
2008-03-14 18:16:40 UTC
So we have renegade clerks making some extra bucks on the side for
either themselves of the post office; unjustly!

JosesAutograph
2008-03-14 18:35:38 UTC
Wow that is amazing charging extra for that. Thanks Sam if I run
across that I will ask to see a postal inspector and quote the law.

Jose R.