Roadshow thing again
2008-03-19 16:00:40 UTC
Originally when I posted, I was hoping someone here might have gone.
This is not the TV one. It's part of it, but I don't think it's the
kind on TV... they have some of the same appraisers there, but this is
not the city tour but the WHRO annual fair here in VA (public
Television; maybe because HQ is here we reap the benefits of this but
I had assumed it extended to other states as well).

Anyway, I tried to call them to get four questions answered because
they do NOT give you a lot of help... the phone number puts me in a
loop. "if you are calling about information on the Mozart special,
please press 1" and when I wait, it just keeps repeating that same
option over and over and over again! So I emailed them but was told
either I'd not get a response, or get a generic answer not really
answering my questions.

So I'll ask the group to see if they know as I am out of options and
do not want to register till I know how it works. I have 4 questions.

1) if you want to go with someone, are you charged 100 again? They
say "100.00 admission with three items". So what if it's me and
someone else with three items total? Am I charged 200? Or maybe
125.00? Or perhaps they can get in free and not have anything
appraised?

2) If you have a small lot of items (say like autographs, you want a
BINDER full of them) is that one item or do they make you take one
item out (in that case, it's not worth to bring that).

3) Is this a verbal appraisal only? Or do you get something signed
that gives you a value attached (for insurance or whatever)

4) Lastly, what if they just don't know anything... do you get another
item appraised in place of that or are you SOL?

This matters... it may NOT be worth doing it for me. I guess I could
live with the verbal only appraisal or the 125 entrance fee, but if
I've gotta remove an item from a binder that is worth nothing by
itself, it's not really worth it and I don't want to lug crap there
only to have to carry it around all day for nothing.
mclovin
????? no comprende
Sue H
2008-03-19 19:48:29 UTC
Well, much to my amazement they did answer my questions...

You are allowed to go in FREE. The 100.00 charge is for 3 items only.
So you can have people with you... I may take 5 items then (150.00
for 5 is the max you can do). Adding samples of my animation
collection and autograph binder possibly.

You only get a verbal appraisal; they charge you for a written one.
So not good if you are going for insurance purposes or if you are
going to get a COA or proof to sell.

You can bring a "sampling" of a collection for ONE item... so that's
good. That's great but I am sure they won't comment on more than a
few items at most... so will value it as a "collection"

I don't think she understood the last question which was about them
not being able to determine an item. She said "no credit if item was
a forgery". That's not really what I was asking... I know that! LOL
I was curious if they didn't know at all or help at all if you could
do another item. But whatever.