The Hobby
Gummby3
2008-06-03 20:27:50 UTC
Maybe this will help get some on topic conversation going. For the
legitimate autograph lurkers, please feel free to join in.

1) What was the first autograph that attracted you to the hobby?
2) How many items are in your collection?
3) What would you say is your prized autographed item(s)?
4) Who is someone living, that has so far eluded you, that would like
to add to your collection?
5) Among celebrities or people of fame that have passed, who do you
regret not adding to your collection?
6) What historical signature would you like in your collection?

For me:

1) I always thought that my first IP autograph was Nichelle Nichols in
1985. Turns out that my parents took me to an event where two Derrick
Dolls cheerleaders from the Houston Oilers signed for me when I was
around 10 years old.

2) Last count was 648 items a couple of years ago. I was estimate
close to 780-800 items.

3) Over the years, I've been a convention staff member. I have been
able to get all of the original Star Trek cast members to sign an
index card. Those cards now professionally matted around a cast
photo. That, and a matted card/picture of Gene Roddenberry are my two
favorites.

4) Scott Backula.

5) Bob Hope and Walt Disney

6) Abraham Lincoln.
--
Mike
Gummby3
Celebrity addresses the way they should be - free.
Terry
2008-06-03 20:52:32 UTC
Post by Gummby3
Maybe this will help get some on topic conversation going. For the
legitimate autograph lurkers, please feel free to join in.
1) What was the first autograph that attracted you to the hobby?
My parents took me to see Sammy Davis Jr at a local night club just after
Candy Man came out. I got his sig and I thought it was really cool.
Post by Gummby3
2) How many items are in your collection?
I only have about twenty, mostly disney related
Post by Gummby3
3) What would you say is your prized autographed item(s)?
Any of my Walt Disney's because they all have a story and my Alice Cooper
because I got it on my local golf course.
Post by Gummby3
4) Who is someone living, that has so far eluded you, that would like to
add to your collection?
Ron Miller of Disney fame (Ron , if your out there, toss me a bone!!!)
Post by Gummby3
5) Among celebrities or people of fame that have passed, who do you regret
not adding to your collection?
Gus Grissom, he has always been my favourite astronaut
Ube Iwerks
Gummby3
2008-06-03 21:05:43 UTC
Very nice. I only have a few Disney related autographs myself. Sammy
is an autograph I regret missing too. I wasn't really focused on
anything non-Star Trek at the time. I do have Jerry Lewis though, so
I do have a part of that era. :-)
Ube Iwerks
barefoot
2008-06-03 22:52:08 UTC
1) rollie fingers was basically the first autograph i remember (i have
my picture with elvis, as i've reported before, but i was a baby and
obviouosly don't remember that...) the first autograph i got that
attracted me to the hobby full time was michael jordan. he was so nice
at the time.

2) i can honestly boast over 5000 autographs...seriously...some
multiples...but since i collect just about everything, i have a lot..

3) pool ball signed by paul newman or my big lebowski cast signed
poster (although, last night, getting liv tyler, i have over 55
autographs on my 2 towers poster, so that may be it now)

4) not really anyone..i've gotten most people..i would like to get
dean jones, he's eluded me for a while. but once i get him, i'm sure
someone else will pop up (that's the sickness i guess).

5) again, that's tough...i wish i would have gotten hunter s.
thompson...he did book signings here in l.a. and i missed both of them
because my car at the time sucked!

how are those answers?
Gummby3
2008-06-04 00:11:34 UTC
Impressive. :-) As for Dean Jones, I know you don't have a lot of
confidence in TTM, but I have received him via an address on my site.
I even received a nice handwritten note along with it. I don't think
that a secretary would have gone that far. :-) I'd give it a shot.
2008-06-03 23:08:10 UTC
Post by Gummby3
1) What was the first autograph that attracted you to the hobby?
Star Wars graphs; got Jeremy Bulloch and James Earl Jones first by
mail and a four signed one (turned out to be bogus and my most
expensive graph; actually hubbys as it was a gift).
Post by Gummby3
2) How many items are in your collection?
Thousands. I have more than 1300 different Star Wars graphs alone
(some of those multiples so maybe as many as 4000 total of Star
Wars... and I've a couple hundred Potter, Rings, and Probably close to
a hundred (never counted) Pirates. A couple hundred "others" and then
a couple dozen of various projects I guess. Somewhere between 5-7
thousand?
Post by Gummby3
3) What would you say is your prized autographed item(s)?
Swee Lim (graph/letter/Shirts he sent), Gilda Cohen's SAG card (only
one of two graphs in total existance; both were mine and I gave one to
a friend); multi-signed anything, gifts from celebs, screening ticket
signed by Lucas, Sebastian Shaw multi-sig program, Several other
graphs have important meaning to me.
Post by Gummby3
4) Who is someone living, that has so far eluded you, that would like
to add to your collection?
In person from Harrison Ford (so I don't have to overspend or have
people speculate on mine), Harry Taylor (driving me NUTS), I'd love to
have a legit Heath Ledger on a Knight's Tale photo, Some of the
Presidents, a few others.
Post by Gummby3
5) Among celebrities or people of fame that have passed, who do you
regret not adding to your collection?
So many.
Post by Gummby3
6) What historical signature would you like in your collection?
I want to get a few presidents and also I'd love to get some more
Egyptologists. My most favorite would be Howard Carter and Lord
Carnarvon.
Post by Gummby3
1) I always thought that my first IP autograph was Nichelle Nichols in
1985. Turns out that my parents took me to an event where two Derrick
Dolls cheerleaders from the Houston Oilers signed for me when I was
around 10 years old.
2) Last count was 648 items a couple of years ago. I was estimate
close to 780-800 items.
3) Over the years, I've been a convention staff member. I have been
able to get all of the original Star Trek cast members to sign an
index card. Those cards now professionally matted around a cast
photo. That, and a matted card/picture of Gene Roddenberry are my two
favorites.
4) Scott Backula.
5) Bob Hope and Walt Disney
Oooh; I'd love Walt myself! and Dr. Seuss and Charles Schultz
6) Abraham Lincoln.
barefoot
2008-06-03 23:22:02 UTC
i've gotten dr. seuss and charles schulz...would have liked to have
gotten walt disney too...but he was gone long before i started
collecting, so i can't say it's a loss...

historically. i don't know..that's a toughie, and i never really got
into historical signatures...i would have liked to have gotten jim
morrison, george washington would be nice. he was the first president
for gosh sakes!
mike
KC
2008-06-03 23:32:00 UTC
1)Last year we went to the telus skins game in Banff Alberta. Got 5 PGA
golfers including Jack Nicklaus..
2) Maybe 30 or so
3) My Bret Hart Winged Eagle belt or Jack Nicklaus 8x10
4) Chad Kroeger from Nickelback- walked by me on the red carpet, and front
row at one of their shows so close....
5) Not sure.....too many maybe...
6) JFK
Very cool questions!
AutographPros.com
2008-06-04 00:17:34 UTC
Post by Gummby3
1) What was the first autograph that attracted you to the hobby?
Rico Petrocelli who was at a Special Olympics event. Didn't really know who
he was but saw people getting autographs and my brother in law said I should
also. The nervous excitement is still a feeling I enjoy when doing in
person autographs.
Post by Gummby3
2) How many items are in your collection?
4000+
Post by Gummby3
3) What would you say is your prized autographed item(s)?
My 15 signature Rolling Stones guitar , most complete in the world
Post by Gummby3
4) Who is someone living, that has so far eluded you, that would like to
add to your collection?
Bob Dylan. I have a magazine in my store appraised and authenticated with
rock solid provenance but I've never been able to get him to personally put
pen to paper in person. He's so not normal.
Post by Gummby3
5) Among celebrities or people of fame that have passed, who do you regret
not adding to your collection?
Marlon Brando. I never even made an effort and have regrets by not doing
so.
Post by Gummby3
6) What historical signature would you like in your collection?
Albert Einstein. Especially because I'd have to make a one of a kind
custom display for it that would be borderline genius.
--
Michael Kasmar
www.AutographPros.com

"Have you joined our emailer yet? If not, please do so immediately by going
to http://www.autographpros.com/newsletter.php
Sue H
2008-06-04 00:51:12 UTC
I remember Rico Petrocelli from way back! Very cool. What made you
go from that to music? I guess if I had that Stones Guitar, It'd be
my prize too... great stuff. As for regretting not getting sigs
before their deaths, John Lennon must be high on a lot of people's
lists....

AutographPros.com
2008-06-04 03:09:46 UTC
Well, sports athletes for the most part are overpaid egomaniacs who have the
audacity to think it's ok to complain about someone selling their autograph
for $50 while they have 3 houses and 5 cars and their job is a "GAME" that
they don't even work every day at. Seriously, that and the combination of
the 'dealers and collectors' who can actually tolerate these athletes would
drive me postal. Sorry, it's just a different breed out there. Don't get
me wrong, I'm not saying all sports guys are bad both in the field and for
dealers but when I went out it just wasn't as enjoyable as say meeting BB
King for the first time, or Steven Tyler, etc.. Those guys bring you right
into their world and it's a memory that I'll always cherish, and for the
most part the competitors (Both dealers and collectors) are more mature and
more laid back. Again, not always, like I remember McCartney at the Rock
and Roll HOF induction in NY when I was next to get him on a guitar and too
many people pushing caused Sir Paul to stop with marker in hand and about to
sign for me. Some memories are not so great too, and some musicians are
foul and rude yelling ebay or are like John Mayer (signing wrong names),
etc. To me if I could meet Hank Aaron or Derek Jeter, etc. and try to
compare that to Mick Jagger and Eric Clapton, is there really any
comparison? I think slowly the market is going to have a newer respect for
music autographs as well. There really are so few authentic music
autographs out there when compared to sports and I think there are close to
as many fans for each. Most people have a favorite team as well as a
favorite band. The difference is, these bands are not out there doing
public signings or even paid mail order signings so the sports is just
flooded and music is pretty scarce. The current sports guys are out every
few days for months and also every year while bands often tour once every
few years and less frequent stops. Now if we can just get an "OPERATION
BACKSTAGE" like they did the "Operation Bullpen" we'd really start to see
the prices skyrocket on music items. For those of you who don't know,
operation bullpen was the major FBI sting into the sports autograph industry
which busted countless forgers. My hope is they will start looking at the
X-List more closely and acting on what is clearly an epidemic costing
unknowing customers billions.
barefoot
2008-06-04 04:44:35 UTC
god damn right!!!!
2008-06-04 13:39:38 UTC
I personally feel that if a person is a true collector, they'll
collect what they love. Some are sports fanatics and that's cool.
Others Music lovers or some like me, sci-fi geeks.... we all have our
things. Along the way, we also beceome autograph fans... not just
fans of that thing but like you said, everyone has a favorite team or
group or "other person" that interests them. I would collect graphs
and get ALL the Star Wars I can get, or Potter or Rings etc. However,
on other projects, if I don't like it, I don't collect it. I extend
that sort of to music. My rule to collect that is to collect only the
groups I see in person, and try to get them in person first; if I
can't, then I if there's a shot in the dark, I might start emailing or
mailing things out with hope. I don't buy stuff. I have bought one
or two but it's because I got a legit item at a song and was hard for
me to get all myself (like a Little River Band signed 8x10 with the
whole band on it for a few dollars). Basically the fun for me with
the music is the act of meeting them! I mean it brings me back to my
teen years when music and school was your life and all we did was have
a blast......... on sports, unless it's my hubby's or my team or an in
person event, I don't get anything. But certain players from the 70's
I have a special fondness for (mostly Red Sox and Bruins) because of
the connection of watching those to my dad and how excited he was.

So in effect, it's different things that connect us. I will admit, my
lust for certain movie graphs has me getting a few most people won't.
The drive of that is to have a monster collection that people awe
(I'll admit it). Not many people can touch my Star Wars collection
and those that could quit or sold off stuff or sold out to become
dealers more than collectors. See, becoming a crossover fan to graphs
themselves, does that! So you can't fault people; there's a very fine
line I've been tempted to cross a number of times.

pe2
2008-06-04 07:17:20 UTC
Post by Gummby3
1) What was the first autograph that attracted you to the hobby?
Washington Redskins star Ken Houston, 1973. He is now a HOF'er and college
coach. I met him at a old WT Grant store in Roanoke Va, then back in the
90's at the Richmond Tuff Stuff Show. I showed him the first autograph i got
from him, and he thought that was pretty cool!
Post by Gummby3
2) How many items are in your collection?
about 1500 autographs. mostly sport cards and wrestling mags.
Post by Gummby3
3) What would you say is your prized autographed item(s)?
A 1992 Winston All Star poster, signed by every living driver except Alan
Kulwicki. Contains Earnhardt and Allison., the others include a 1:24 scale
General Lee signed by the Dukes cast (IP), and my 8x10 photo op with Dale
Earnhardt, Sr+his autograph at that time the photo was taken.
Post by Gummby3
4) Who is someone living, that has so far eluded you, that would like to
add to your collection?
Bill and Hillary Clinton (yes, I'll ignore Monica) and Paul McCartney
Post by Gummby3
5) Among celebrities or people of fame that have passed, who do you regret
not adding to your collection?
Denver Pyle and Sorrell Booke. (Dukes of Hazzard Fame aka "Uncle Jesse" and
Michael Jordan, LOL!!!
Bob
2008-06-04 07:52:50 UTC
1) What was the first autograph that attracted you to the hobby?

Larry Bird

2) How many items are in your collection?

About 1,000

3) What would you say is your prized autographed item(s)?

Sebastian Shaw, Harrison Ford, Chris Farley and Richard Prior

4) Who is someone living, that has so far eluded you, that would like
to add to your collection?

Rick Baker (Star Wars)

5) Among celebrities or people of fame that have passed, who do you
regret not adding to your collection?

Jonathan Harris (Lost in Space) had the chance and didn’t get it.

6) What historical signature would you like in your collection?

Where would you start, Abe Lincoln, Caesar, King Solomon …. Oh the
list goes on.
Sue H
2008-06-04 13:47:05 UTC
Post by Gummby3
1) What was the first autograph that attracted you to the hobby?
Larry Bird
Cool bob; he's only one of two Basketball graphs I'd love to have.
The other being Michael Jordan. I am not a huge fan of basketball, but
to me, those are meaningful to us (My hubby is from Chicago and I from
NE)
Post by Gummby3
2) How many items are in your collection?
About 1,000
3) What would you say is your prized autographed item(s)?
Sebastian Shaw, Harrison Ford, Chris Farley and Richard Prior
4) Who is someone living, that has so far eluded you, that would like
to add to your collection?
Rick Baker (Star Wars)
Oh man Bob. I'll file that in the back of my mind. I have his graph,
but by the grace of a friend who obtained his graph at a CD signing
(for a famed musician) where Rick was there with him/her (forget who
it was now), as a friend and my friend recognized him! The friend is
a Star Wars graph collector and didn't know he'd be there but happened
to pop in for the CD signing (see, being a graph collector in general
does help sometimes!), and spotted him. Which is amazing, because
behind the scenes people aren't usually spotted. Alas, all I have is
an index card but that's life. I had a number of addresses for Rick,
but he won't sign by mail. I thought NOT to try SW so instead, sent
him a shot from Haunted Mansion but still nothing. He just won't
sign. He's not IMPOSSIBLE though. Have patience and if I get the
opportunity ever again, I'll remember you.
Post by Gummby3
5) Among celebrities or people of fame that have passed, who do you
regret not adding to your collection?
Jonathan Harris (Lost in Space) had the chance and didn’t get it.
Luckily though, there still are a number of good graphs in
circulation. You can still get one fairly inexpensive (35-40 bucks
most legit ones I see).
Post by Gummby3
6) What historical signature would you like in your collection?
Where would you start, Abe Lincoln, Caesar, King Solomon …. Oh the
list goes on.
Imagine having Caesar or King Solomon's sig! Awesome. Or Cleopatra or
any of those. I don't think such things exist, but even say Dante
Allegehri or Willilam Shakespeare. Wow. Boggles the mind.
Sue H
2008-06-04 14:23:08 UTC
Post by Gummby3
5) Among celebrities or people of fame that have passed, who do you regret
not adding to your collection?
Denver Pyle and Sorrell Booke. (Dukes of Hazzard Fame aka "Uncle Jesse" and
"Boss Hogg")
Yeah, I got Denver's in an auction but hard to get them now! I would
love to add Sorrell to the collection as well.
I don't know if he's historical, but he's on my list too~
pe2
2008-06-04 16:44:07 UTC
historical figure...would Jesus Christ be considered for an autograph?! or
the Bible's Paul-he would definitely be a cool autograph to have, being a
noted author!
Gummby3
pe2
2008-06-04 17:19:52 UTC
Post by Gummby3
The Bible has been written and rewritten so many times, it would be
difficult to determine whether it was original or a "secretarial". LOL
Yeah, considering how many different translations there are! :) !!!! I think
Paul would have a few choice words if his autograph would be secretarial,
LOL!!!
being a noted author!
Lee Cochenour
2008-06-04 18:34:49 UTC
Post by Gummby3
1) What was the first autograph that attracted you to the hobby?
It was G. Gordon Libby. Soon after I started working at a bookstore
he came in and signed copies of one of his books. He came up and introduced
himself and asked if I wanted a signed book. I got one and then found a
fellow bookseller that was a collector - once he showed me his collection, I
was hooked.
Post by Gummby3
2) How many items are in your collection?
About 200 signed books and then around 400 other items.
Post by Gummby3
3) What would you say is your prized autographed item(s)?
My favorite is a book signed by Robert Heinlein, my all time
favorite author. The one I had the most fun getting - a FDC signed by John
Glenn, Alan Shepard, Harrison Schmitt, James Lovell, Gordon Cooper. Gregori
Grechko (all in persons at different events).
Post by Gummby3
4) Who is someone living, that has so far eluded you, that would like to
add to your collection?
I love aviation and space stuff, so definitely Neil Armstrong.
Post by Gummby3
5) Among celebrities or people of fame that have passed, who do you regret
not adding to your collection?
Jimmy Stewart. Saw him at an event when I was a teenager, but didn't
want to wait in line for an autograph.
Post by Gummby3
6) What historical signature would you like in your collection?
Probably my namesake - Robert E. Lee

Lee Cochenour
Check out the Celebrity Books Signings & Events Site
http://www.geocities.com/leecoke/
Sue H
2008-06-04 18:47:36 UTC
Post by Gummby3
3) What would you say is your prized autographed item(s)?
My favorite is a book signed by Robert Heinlein, my all time
favorite author. The one I had the most fun getting - a FDC signed by John
Glenn, Alan Shepard, Harrison Schmitt, James Lovell, Gordon Cooper. Gregori
Grechko (all in persons at different events).
oh man, Robert Heinlein would be at the top of my author list! Near
Stephen King and a few others. GREAT one!
Post by Lee Cochenour
Post by Gummby3
4) Who is someone living, that has so far eluded you, that would like to
add to your collection?
I love aviation and space stuff, so definitely Neil Armstrong.
I'd love to have that too; he's a toughie to get. Good luck!
Post by Lee Cochenour
Post by Gummby3
5) Among celebrities or people of fame that have passed, who do you regret
not adding to your collection?
Jimmy Stewart. Saw him at an event when I was a teenager, but didn't
want to wait in line for an autograph.
DOH. Teenagers never appreciate anything and do grow up regretting
stuff. I have one in his 20's now who didn't do anything but sit in
the house in front of the PC all day. I think he's starting to regret
that now.
The Mystic
2008-06-05 04:55:04 UTC
Post by Gummby3
1) What was the first autograph that attracted you to the hobby?
When Dr. John Dee signed my personal copy of Monas Hieroglyphica
Post by Gummby3
2) How many items are in your collection?
around 600,000
Post by Gummby3
3) What would you say is your prized autographed item(s)?
My signed copy of Monas Hieroglyphica
Post by Gummby3
4) Who is someone living, that has so far eluded you, that would like
to add to your collection?
John Malkovich
Post by Gummby3
5) Among celebrities or people of fame that have passed, who do you
regret not adding to your collection?
Richard the Lionheart
Richard the Lionheart
Gummby3
2008-06-06 00:46:02 UTC
Curious... This question is for everyone. I know that there are more
autograph lurkers on here. Join in and let us know about your
collection.
Mr Black
2008-06-06 10:04:03 UTC
2008-06-06 14:47:08 UTC
I'm really finding this interesting. While there are some
similarities, the group is pretty diverse in their collections. I had
missed out on putting Michael J. Fox on my list. He is definitely one
that I would like to have too. He has/had so much talent to be struck
down at such a young age...
Max@MGMemorabilia
2008-06-06 13:21:41 UTC
1) What was the first autograph that attracted you to the hobby?

Stallone on a Rocky Still

2) How many items are in your collection?

My personal collection has shrunk since I started dealing due to the fact
everything has a price But I would say 40/50, if I want something for
myself now days I always get the person signing to sign it to me.

3) What would you say is your prized autographed item(s)?

A Kill Bill replica sword by David Carradine

4) Who is someone living, that has so far eluded you, that would like to add
to your collection?

Michale J Fox

5) Among celebrities or people of fame that have passed, who do you regret
not adding to your collection?

Frank Sinatra

6) What historical signature would you like in your collection?

Possibly Winston Churchill, but I'm sure given more time I would choose
someone else.