SASE
walter durst
2008-05-03 23:17:45 UTC
When I enclose an SASE, should it be an 8x10 or a 9x11? Also, how much
postage should I put on the SASE?

My Blog http://wdurst.blogspot.com
Gummby3
2008-05-04 00:17:38 UTC
It depends on what you want back. :-) An 9x12 is the appropriate size
if you're expecting an 8x10. Before the last sign of greed from the
USPS and their postage hike, I used to send requests that consisted of
a 9x12 envelope, an 8x10, backer board, letter and an 9x12 SASE. Of
course, since I sent what I expected back, I made sure to send the
right sized envelope. Now days, I send a standard sized envelope with
a custom index card and a standard sized SASE. The Postal Union is
forcing the USPS to raise stamps again this month to cover yet another
pay raise (that's the only reason I can find since the USPS has shown
record profits for the 2nd year in a row), so I don't know what the
current cost will be for a 9x12.
--
Mike
Gummby3
Sue H
2008-05-04 00:18:36 UTC
Well, you would send the same size envelope as the item you are
sending. If you are sending an 8x10, you'll want and 8.5x11" etc.
If you are sending 5x7 you will want a 6x9 etc. You wouldn't send an
envelope WITHOUT sending a photo (expecting them to give you one) as
your chances of getting one is severely cut, some consider it rude or
at least presumptuous (as they cannot all afford to give those out).
If they CAN afford to send one to you, it's my experience they'll
either return your items back to you signed or unsigned with their
item in their envelope. If they can afford the 8x10 they'll afford
the postage. Or they'll tape your postage/envelope onto the larger
one (I've had that happen on a few occasions).

As for postage, you would weigh the entire package you are sending;
what you put on the outer envelope, you'll be putting inside. SO....
take the item to the post office completed, leaving the flap open (if
you are not weighing it yourself and they are weighing it for you) and
after they stamp the outside, just pull out the inner envelope and
hand it to them and ask them to put that amount in stamps on it for
you (do NOT have them digitally do it because time expires etc). Put
the envelope back in and seal it and hand it back to the clerk for
mailing. If you have a lot of these, if they weigh all the same
(should most likely) just ask that amount times 10 or whatever in
stamps and then go off to the side, do your stamping and sealing and
drop them in a box on the way out. That's what I've done (if they
don't have a do it yourself station)
Gummby3
Sue H
2008-05-04 00:44:58 UTC
I've had that happen more than once too. Although it's because I send
out 5x7 sized items...
Calrima@aol.com
2008-05-05 04:29:14 UTC
Friends,

One trick, that I use, is to enclose a 8 x 10 Toploader in an 9 x 12
envelope for the SAFE return of a photo. I even state in the letter
that I have encloses a toploader to help protect the item, and thank
them. I hope this helps.

Dennis
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/autographdc/

( If you want to join, mine and Chips Autograph Group, use the above
link)