OT: Scrap gold result
2008-04-24 14:34:33 UTC
As part of my spring cleaning, I was cleaning a lot of stuff out
including jewelry and decided some broken items must go so I asked
here about the scrap gold and what you get... in case anyone is
interested, here are the results in case others get in a crunch and
want to sell off their stuff (I hear economy is going to get to the
point of rationing, fines, increase loss of jobs and food etc):

I sent:
1 black hills gold small ring (tiny; like a childs or young teen's
ring we found on the ground) - I think black hills gold is 10k
1 14k gold flat cross with a diamond chip in the center we found on
the ground
1 ring 14k that was my original engagement ring (I had lost the
diamond out of it); very thin small size about size 5
1 gold chain thin herringbone, 14k that was in bad shape; unwearable
6 backs of pendants that had contained real stones (cheap ones like
garnet, which I popped out and kept)

I thought I'd get at least 50 bucks. The ring and the cross would
probably sell at a store for 30-40 bucks each and I could have at
least gotten 10-20 each for them at a garage sale. I figured the rest
of the gold would be about 20 bucks at least (my friend owns a pawn
shop in florida and talked to her this weekend and they pay 15 dollars
a gram she said).

In any case my grand total was 20.70. End result might be better to
sell it to someone at a yard sale or give it away. Turns out those
pendant backs weren't gold. Those were bought off of home shopping
years ago and were said to be 10k gold or 14k (forget). This means
home shopping LIED. That's news to some here probably. Nice to know.
I have about 8 rings I might take to the pawn shop from there during a
shopping spree in the early 90's. Also, the diamond chip is not paid
(they don't give money for that which I knew; but too small to save,
pop out)

Now I have an 18k chain I don't like (is mannish looking and heavy)
and it weighs 28-29 grams. According to my friend I should get
336-450 for it, Or more depending on what they pay for 18k and if its'
salable as is. So this weekend I'll take it to a pawn shop or two and
see what I can get. I also have class rings to get rid of that are
huge and heavy. She told me they won't give out any money for the
stones in their calculations. It's better for you to remove the
stones. Also, a lot of people claim to have white gold and don't (some
thought they were buying it but was other metals with gold overlay....
some companies either ripped people off or people were naive... so
check your rings!) Pawn shops generally won't do it (remove stones)
and if you try you could break the stones. I wonder if anyone knows
if a jeweler would do it?
pe2
2008-04-24 23:48:22 UTC
Not bad, Sue. I'm cleaning out a bunch of Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Sr. Die
cast. A coworker bought 2 Sr. cars from me-they are the inexpensive Winners
Circle brand. They go for about $15 each on eBay. He's a young Earnhardt fan
and collects alot of diecast 1:24 scale cars-he liked what he saw and bought
them. I try to keep the boxes, etc.

Get this, I'm gonna pay for the honeymoon by selling of alot of my
Collectibles that I don't want a move. Amazing how your priorities change
when you get ready to get married!!!! Still ain't giving up my IP 'graphs or
the vintage signed Daisy poster!
Sue H
2008-04-25 00:19:55 UTC
Well, get ready for new collectibles to sell... Earnhardt is coming
here according to the news but I missed when... so start checking so
you can get more stuff to replace the stuff you sold! LOL
KC