Postal Info
Gummby3
2008-08-18 04:36:34 UTC
I've been out of the loop sending requests in 9x12 envelopes for the
last two postal hikes. I'm just now getting back into it, so I talked
to a postal worker to clarify some of the myths.

The metal clasp increases the price:
False. He said it has no basis at all.

"Do note bend":
True. He did verify that putting this on your envelopes will increase
the price as it has to actually be handled by a postal employee.

Cardboard:
True. This is kind of a no-brainer, but he said that the standard
brown 8x10 backers will increase your postage. He recommended using
manila folders and placing the picture and contents inside it. It's
not as thick, but it still provides enough protection that the mailman
will have to use some effort to bend it. Office Depot sells a
100-count box of their generic brand for $6.29 and tax. As a test,
I'm planning on writing "please return" on the folders in an attempt
to reuse them. I don't know if it'll work though. :-)
--
Mike
Gummby3
Celebrity addresses the way they should be - free.
Tony Evans
2008-08-18 17:31:00 UTC
"Do note bend":
True. He did verify that putting this on your envelopes will increase
the price as it has to actually be handled by a postal >employee.

This practically guarantees the envelope will be purposely bent and the
contents destroyed. A high percentage of postal employees are disgruntled
and go out of their way to destroy anything marked "fragile" or "do not
bend"
Gummby3
2008-08-18 19:31:18 UTC
What I've found out, since posting this last night, is that I have had
equal amount tell me that their PO does NOT charge for instructions on
the envelope and that their PO DOES charge up to a quarter for the
metal clasp and vice versa. There is a definite case of vague
interpretation of the Postal regulations per region and even per PO
which is resulting in the public being nickeled and dimed to death. A
little uniformity would be nice. :-) I just have to hope that the
inserts I put with the request package is enough to support
everything...
bend"
Tony Evans
2008-08-18 17:32:27 UTC
I'm planning on writing "please return" on the folders in an attempt
Post by Gummby3
to reuse them
Celebrities will think you're a weirdo and a cheapskate and won't even
bother to return the photos at all.
Sue H
2008-08-18 14:50:41 UTC
I hate to agree, but I am all for not asking too much extra of the
celebs. It turns them off as you're already asking for them to sign,
seal and send out your item.
Gummby3
2008-08-18 19:37:45 UTC
I don't think it's asking any more of them than it does for them to
open unsolicited mail. :-) If they don't return it, they'll just end
up having to throw it away anyway. The same goes with the request
letters. How many times have you had your letter returned with the
autograph? It's because they don't want to be burdened with it,
especially if they get a lot of mail. Like I said, it never hurts to
try.
--
Post by Sue H
I hate to agree, but I am all for not asking too much extra of the
celebs. It turns them off as you're already asking for them to sign,
seal and send out your item.
Sue H
2008-08-18 19:45:44 UTC
Yeah; I am sure a lot of people try all sorts of crap so this is small
in comparison. I know sometimes people want a certain area or
inscription or ask for photos (one guy sent me a letter by email of
what he'd done and it said in there "Please send me an 8x10 color
photo of you or your character and put...." To me, that's stepping
over the line but again, like you said in the previous post, everyone
has their own opinions and the fact is you just never know.
try.
Gummby3
2008-08-18 20:00:56 UTC
I figure that my "please return" is probably one of the more sane
requests that they will receive. :-) As for the autograph directions,
I've come across that too. They buy those stick on arrows to point
exactly where they want the item signed. I really think that's
getting pretty picky. That is, unless you're paying for them to sign.
At that point, they're temporarily working for you. :-) As I tell
people on my site, there are four rules to TTM collecting. 1) Assume
whatever you're sending is lost in the mail as soon as the mailbox
closes. 2) Be polite in your letters. They're doing you a favor of
even accepting the unsolicited mail, much less reading it or signing
for you. 3) Send return postage. This is YOUR hobby, not theirs.
Why should they pay for it? 4) Be grateful for what you receive...
unless it's a PP or autopen. I still consider those a slap in the
face, especially if you provide the item and SASE. I have always been
of the belief that the easier you make the transaction, the better
your odds of a success. Email requests are trickier. I always feel
that it's polite to ask what their autograph policy is instead of
automatically expecting them to foot the bill for a signed item AND
the postage just because you sent an email. :-) You'll receive one of
three responses: they will ask what your address is to send an
autograph, they will provide you an address to send an SASE to OR they
will direct you to their store.
--
Post by Sue H
Yeah; I am sure a lot of people try all sorts of crap so this is small
in comparison. I know sometimes people want a certain area or
inscription or ask for photos (one guy sent me a letter by email of
what he'd done and it said in there "Please send me an 8x10 color
photo of you or your character and put...." To me, that's stepping
over the line but again, like you said in the previous post,
everyone
has their own opinions and the fact is you just never know.
try.
Gummby3
2008-08-18 19:34:43 UTC
You know the old saying about opinions. LOL Besides, it would be the
pot calling the kettle black for a Hollywood resident to think others
are weird... Besides, I'm sure that they, or their assistants, would
like to be able to recycle. Regardless, I'll never know until I try.
Finally, if I worried about what Hollywood thought, I would be a
mindless political follower too and vote just because one of them said
to vote a certain way.
Sue H
2008-08-18 14:49:36 UTC
I've sent out 6x8 or 6x9 envelopes and put 5x7 photos in there with
NOTHING to keep them from bending and I'd say maybe 2-3 items out of
200 came back damaged. I did turn around and resend to replace, but
the cost savings overall is still a ton less than doubling the price
(essentially 84 cents regularly without cardboard and 160 or little
more with it. So sending three times would be under 2 bucks whereas
and extra 197 times 80 sents exta give or take is a LOT more!

So I recommend cutting the size of what you send and collect something
smaller. I have a great Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings and Pirates
of the Caribbean album that is more than half 5x7;s. I can fit more
into the albums too. You can buy 5x7 avery sheets so you get 4 items
on a page instead of two so it's double the amount as well. And it's
cooler for people to thumb through as they see four at a time...
instead of two.
2008ny
you have an answer to everything,don't you ?
Sue H
Gummby3
2008-08-18 19:42:35 UTC
Oh good Lord. You've actually become asinine now.

In case you don't understand the big word:
as·i·nine /'æs??na?n/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled
Pronunciation[as-uh-nahyn] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
-adjective 1. foolish, unintelligent, or silly; stupid: It is
surprising that supposedly intelligent people can make such asinine
statements.
2. of or like an ass: asinine obstinacy; asinine features.

Surprisingly, and hang on to your hat here, this is a discussion board
where people communicate with each other, as opposed to you talking AT
others, as you do. If you don't have anything useful to add to my
discussion, don't comment.
Gummby3
2008-08-18 19:27:35 UTC
I've actually been going the custom index card route, as of late. One
stamp on each standard sized envelope and the nominal cost of an index
card. The problem is that I have a LOT of 8x10 pictures that I've
printed out of the years. Unfortunately, I ran into that bad day that
lasted the last 7 years and I was never able to get the money to mail
properly. Things are easing up, finally, in the real world, so I'm
playing catch up. I have always had the same contents in my 9x12s:
photo, request letter, cardboard backer, SASE, which comes to 3 oz.
every time. What used to cost .83¢ now costs $1.51 because of the
postage hikes. I have three 9x12s ready to go with the lighter
folder, instead of the cardboard. It's only reduced the package
weight by very little though.

Are the Avery sheets acid free? If not, Ultra Pro does sell 4-pocket
sheets too. That's what I've been using for the index cards.
instead of two.
Sue H
2008-08-18 19:42:56 UTC
Yes, they are acid free and I've gotten some 4x6 ones (holds 6; three
pockets so two on each back to back allows 6 per page) and I've also
3x5 size ones (those are harder to find but I bought a box off Ebay...
). anyway, there's 5 3x5" holders which of course then holds 10 per
page. Likewise, there are card holder pages too with 9 per page or 18
cards total. Love them!

have you thought about flyweights? They sell those in bulk too. I
have a crapload of cardboard saved. I should ditch those as I'll never
be able to use them all unless I got into business. LOL
chip1057
2008-08-19 00:24:30 UTC
Don't forget that it might be a waste of money sending out 9x12
envelops since all you probably
get will be pre-prints or autopens.

Chip
Post by Gummby3
I've been out of the loop sending requests in 9x12 envelopes for the
last two postal hikes.  I'm just now getting back into it, so I talked
to a postal worker to clarify some of the myths.
False.  He said it has no basis at all.
True.  He did verify that putting this on your envelopes will increase
the price as it has to actually be handled by a postal employee.
True.  This is kind of a no-brainer, but he said that the stand> brown 8x10 backers will increase your postage.  He recommended using
Gummby3