Star Collector Mailbox PLUS - 3/30
Gummby3
2008-03-31 03:21:42 UTC
I wasn't home for the weekend, so this is actually a success from
yesterday. Probably my final spring training success, unless there
are some stragglers.

JR Towles - catcher being groomed by Brad Ausmus to be his replacement
after he retires this year.
Houston Astros
c/o Osceola County Stadium
631 Heritage Park Way
Kissimmee, FL 34744-6110
(spring training)
(mailed custom index card, SASE; received it signed)
(sent 2/16 - received 3/29) - 42 days

Now for the PLUS.

I went to the Astros Fanfest at Minute Maid Park. While I have been
going to conventions since 1984, this was my first sports-related
event. I learned several things with this event. 1) 5 am is EARLY in
the morning to be standing in line to purchase signing vouchers in the
rain. 2) I learned that Minute Maid is an extremely large complex.
There were 10 signing group sessions with 4-5 Astros in each. The bad
news is that there were 10 outlets around the outside parameter of the
stadium that you had to hit in order to get vouchers. No vouchers, no
autograph. I also learned to bring at least one other person with me
to this event so that we can both get to two sides each to stand in
line. I was only able to get vouchers for 8 of the 10 vouchers. Not
bad for someone in a power chair. LOL 3) I learned that the interior
of Minute Maid has 6 levels. I hit just about EVERY one of them as,
for some reason, they had the signing tables spread all over the
stadium. 4) I learned where every elevator was. The one player that
I was really wanting was Lance Berkman, one of the last remaining
"Killer B's". Since I did not know what part of the stadium to start
on, I did not get to the line for Berkman. Of course, the news
started spreading through all of the lines that his vouchers sold out
in less than 30 minutes. So goes my luck. LOL

Every Astros player was great and cordial, even with very long lines.
Unfortunately, I was unable to get to 2 of the 8 vouchers I bought due
to everything be spread out so far. From what I found out, this is
the first year that they did it like this. Every other year, all of
the tables were in close proximity on the same level. I have a
feeling that they are going back to that set up next year as there
were complaints. I didn't complain, but I did suggest that they try
to keep it to at least one or two levels next year, especially for
paying customers with limited mobility. At $20 per voucher, that's
the very least that they could do.

I was able to get quite a few that I also really wanted to sign my
jersey:

Jose Cruz, Sr. (signed card)
Jose Cruz, Jr. (signed card)
Brad Ausmus (signed card)
Hunter Pence
Roy Oswalt
Carlos Lee
Mark Loretta (signed card)
Humberto Quintero (signed card)
Darin Erstad
Jose Valverde (signed card)
Chris Sampson
Dave Borkowski (signed card)
Wandy Rodriguez (signed card)
David Newhan (signed card)
Wesley Wright (signed card)
Doug Brocail
Runelvys Hernandez
Oscar Villarreal (signed card)
Geoff Geary
Jackie Moore (signed card)
Davey Robinson (signed card)

The handlers for the tables had a "one autograph per voucher" policy.
Each player had 3œx5œ photo cards with them at the tables for those
that did not bring anything to be signed. Since I figured it wouldn't
hurt to ask, I asked each player I went through for a card. Only 5
did not give me a signed card. :-) Overall, it was a fun event. I'm
exhausted. I'll most likely do this again next year, but with some
definite alterations to my outing.
--
Mike
Gummby3

barefoot
2008-03-31 17:48:45 UTC
that's really cool.i'm glad it all worked out for you too. the
diamondbacks do something similar, but the players are ONLY signing
the 3x5 photos. so that's all you can get signed...no bats, no
jerseys...and randy johnson refuses to show up to these things.
barefoot
2008-03-31 17:51:44 UTC
brad ausmus is retiring..man, i am getting old...me and a few buddies
were paid GOBS of money to drive a bunch of padres players cars home
to san diego after spring training was over (they were starting the
season on the road)..and brad was one of them, in fact, he was the
unlucky one as my buddy got the car hit in a parking lot on the way to
san diego from phoenix...i don't know what happened. but i remember
brad having awful taste in music.